To early adopt, or not?

As you explore what’s currently available in VR and all it’s associated components it becomes obvious that this is a fledgling industry. And, those of us who have taken the leap into VR are by and large the “early adopters”.

As I pondered the possibility to shell out the dollars for VR I couldn’t help but think “wait, this VR thing will evolve into something much better than what is currently available”. Just look at some of the VR news websites. Their content is more about what will be available rather than about what is here and now.

Still, I’d sure like to have some fun now. Yes, I could wait but isn’t there always going to be something coming down the pike that is better? More advanced?

So, I took the leap, bought the Vive. And you know what, I am having a great time experiencing something that is magnificent. I should have done this a year ago. Honestly, I can hardly wait to strap on the headset and get going. I’m still trying to find the perfect game to get into, but that will come in time.

My wish list is; 1) wireless everything 2) better controllers, or many different controllers designed to fit the game, ie steering deck for racing games designed for Vive, handheld weapons and such. 3) smaller lightweight headset. I could go on but you get the idea.

All of this written to say that if you're on the edge to adopt or not, I say go for it. While there will be improvements and the current Vive may be an antique in two years, you can sure have a ton of fun right here and right now. Who knows what tomorrow will bring so enjoy today to the fullest.

I am curious though, did any of you go through some of the same thinking before taking the leap into VR?   Take care Cpt. Good

I was just thinking about the very same subject today.  I think just like you, enjoying it now will be much better than waiting for something better to come along.  Who wants to miss out on years of enjoyment?  There seems to be a good amount of content and I've just played 4-5 hours of Arizona Sunshine over the past two days and while I was at work today I couldn't wait to get home to play some more.  There hasn't really been a game I felt like like in years.

For me, I got into computers back when it was something most people didn't do. Their was a mystery to it and a real science to getting a computer running, etc. Then I lived long enough to see computers become something so simple that 4 year olds play with one while waiting at the dentist.  I missed the good ol' days of computer science. 

So when the Vive appeared on my radar, I knew I had to pre-order. Here was something that would bring back those glory days of mystery, excitement, etc.. that I had with the early computers. And yes, The Vive delivered on all cylinders. 

I still love telling people how it works and the excitement I get while turning on all the lighthouses, etc.. to start it up (I have it on remote outlets). And putting on the headset feels so outer worldly to me. Even the issues I've had with mine while also frustrating, bring me joy. So yeah, for me, it was to rekindle my love for computers and the excitement of being one of the few who get to glimpse the future today.

Archived