vive developer advice

fluis

I currently have a vive pro and am considering applying to be a vive developer. I know that Steam and Vive also work with Pico HMD's and want to become a developer to focus on providing immersive content for these platforms. Would the Vive Pro be sufficient for developing using Unity or should I consider another HMD from Vive to do this?

Hello @fluis,

We're pretty open when it comes to developers - anyone can develop for our headsets.

Porting mobile to PCVR is far easier than going the opposite direction. 

In broad strokes, there are two buckets:

• PCVR: You can use either Vive or Vive Pro as standard reference headsets
    • If you implement SteamVR into your project correctly, the headset itself should automatically work across all PCVR headsets supported by SteamVR.
    • With SteamVR, integrating controllers can tricky because with SteamVR tracked headsets, you can mix/match controllers. 
    • There are 3 main types of controller that work with Vive Products: Vive Wands, Valve Index Controllers (Knuckles), and Vive Cosmos Controllers.
      • If you target Vive wands and Index controllers, you'll cover most Vive users out there. Vive Cosmos input mapping works the same as Quest/Oculus Touch.
  • Mobile:
    • For Focus 3, and other mobile Vive products - you must integrate our WaveSDK into the project for it to render to the HMD. 
      • OpenXR support for WaveSDK is currently in beta. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 7:56 PM, fluis said:

I currently have a vive pro and am considering applying to be a vive developer. I know that Steam and Vive also work with Pico HMD's and want  to become https://100001.onl/ https://1921681254.mx/ a developer to focus on providing immersive content for these platforms. Would the Vive Pro be sufficient for developing using Unity or should I consider another HMD from Vive to do this?

I got this,...