my earbud jack doesn't fit the jack on the headset

d_boss_mx

Does your Vive work with other headphones? I did a bit of research into your headset and it seems like people have had similar issues with other hardware and thus it may just be a poorly designed plug. Audio connectors with stereo output and mono input are refered to as TRRS connectors (and a "standard" stereo headphone plug is a TRS). TRRS and TRS are 100% intercompatible (except in rare cases for video equipment which have a slightly longer plug (15mm vs 17mm)). The jack on the Vive (and the extender that you actually plug into) are TRRS so you should have no issues unless the plug on the headset in question is simply weird. I often use TRRS headsets with the Vive. 

I don't have the same setup on any other headsets I own, with stereo and a microphone on a 3.5mm plug. I do know that the one I am having problems with is a very inexpensive set, so it wouln't surprise me if there weren't just a quality problem on the plug or the wiring. To the eye, it looks like all the conductors line up good, the TRRS must be tip, ring, ring, "Something" (ha ha) and I suspect it it the second ring grounding out inside the jack that causes the problem because to make it work I have to pull back so it is not 100% inserted. Once I get it right, it will usually stay in place for the duration of my playtime. Of course, like all mechanical stuff, it has a tendency to screw up a the worst time like right in the middle of an Audioshield song where I had been doing quite well...

If I use the earbuds that came with the Vive, they work fine.

THANKS for your time.

Archived