Repair/Exchange of Bad Controller

Cpt_Good

What is the procedure for warranty service on a controller? One of mine is malfunctioning intermitently on the jump  function. The other controller is working fine. Is there another place to turn in a repair ticket?

Also, seeing that a previous poster has been waiting weeks for his repair/replacement, is this the norm? Thanks in advance.

Cpt. Good

Hi Cpt_Good.

Touch pad went dead in one part of the disk?

I had that happen to one of mine and fixed it myself instead of taking a chance of sending it in and waiting weeks to get it back.

It's a very common problem with the Vive controllers. :(

There's a few videos on YouTube on how to take the controller apart (need small torx bit screwdrivers) and a couple videos show and explain the slipped plastic disk issue and how to make it right. As long as you take your time and are careful, it's a easy fix, took me roughly half a hour to fix mine.

Regards: Jack

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, you would be voiding your warranty for that controller by doing the repair yourself. In one of the screw holes (saucer part at the top hole) there's a small black seal (black sticker or something) and you have to take it out to get to that screw. Also, to re-center the small plastic disk, I added a minuscule (maybe a 1/4 drop) of crazy glue to make sure the plastic disk stays put. That controller has been working flawlessly since. The other one may need the same fix soon, the track pad has a odd feeling at one spot on the disk when pressing it down.

Thanks CataPulT, that's exactly what it is. I did a chat with the Vive people and they said they'd be sending me an email with return instructions. Of course I never received it. I went ahead and ordered another controller from Amazon. I figure if they ever do send a return autho I'll go ahead and send it in. Maybe they'll fix it under warranty and I'll have three controllers.

I'm not sure if I'm dealing with people in Bangkok or Timbuctoo, maybe its a cultural thing. Hope they honor the warranty though. I will report back to let everyone know. Many thanks CataPulT!

Cpt. Good

Hi Cpt_Good.

You may want to try dealing with Synthesis (John) if you want to get anything done. Seems like HTC seriously need to get the customer support (website, email and webchat) act together. So many times I hear the same complaints with people trying to get warranty or general tech support through those methods. The forum moderator team get things done and that's huge kudos to them since every other method seems to be a gamble as to if you'll ever hear back from them, this puts a burden on them but when you spend that kind of money for a piece of hardware, some good customer support is to be expected.

I just PM'ed my ticket number to John.

Unlike  I think I got about 4 fedex shipping labels to return the controller.

I used the first packing slip that I got and htc/Vive signed for it on July 11th.

I then got emails from htc/Vive saying they never got the controller.

So, I called them and they said disregard all the future emails and FedEx packing slips...And confirmed that they are in possession on my controller.

That was three weeks ago.

I've spoken with two supervisors and neither has been able to give me a date on when I will get my new controller.

If it doesn't get resolved soon, I will return my entire htc Vive...with only one working controller. 

This type of (non) Support/Service is entirely unacceptable.

I hope you have a better experience than me!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived