Code 912 issues, no matter what I try

So, here's what I'm able to do, I CAN :

pair the XR Elite with Vive Steaming, see the QR code, all of that
get the XR Elite to see my list of SteamVR games,
click on a game in the XR Elite and get it to start the game on the PC

But I keep hitting a wall, Code 912, never got it before. 
I do not see the inside of SteamVR home and I see Vive Hub momentarily show 'Now Streaming' before switching back to 'Ready' and SteamVR switching back to 'standing by'.

I have already tried
Clean reinstall of all HTC / Vive software on my PC.
Clean reinstall of my ethernet driver
Factory reset of my Wifi 6E router
setting bitrate to 40mbps
Temporarily turning off windows defender
Trying out the public release of Vive Hub as well as the beta software

None of it made a difference.

At this point I'm a bit at wit's end, my only suspicions are my ethernet adapter, so I ordered a USB 3 to ethernet adapter and I'll try it out when I get it, see if that makes any difference.

And the XR Elite itself, about a week ago I was occasionally having issues where I would be successfully streaming but then I would start to get a huge lag spike to the point SteamVR was unusable and quitting vive streaming inside the headset and turning the xr elite off and then on again and restarting streaming inside the xr elite, WITHOUT turning off steamvr or Vive hub, would clear it up, could something be wrong with my XR Elite to be causing a 912?

I'd be willing to test a beta firmware of the XR Elite to see if it clears things up. 

One weird issue I noticed that I wonder if it might be related, inside the XR Elite when I click on my wifi 6e network, it doesn't list 6 GHZ as one of the frequencies. I never saw it do that before.

IMG_4991.JPG

So, I had a breakthrough, I turned on dynamic bitrate (it was always turned off before) and for the first time in days I finally managed to get past the Code 912 wall and inside of SteamVR home.

The weird thing is, I never needed to use dynamic bitrate before, so I'm still wondering what changed, and I'd like to go back to the way things were before cause I prefer to have maximum quality.

The other thing I don't understand, while I was troubleshooting, one of the first things I did was set my bitrate as low as possible so what does dynamic bitrate do differently?

Is it possible for me to revert to an early version of the in-headset streaming client, or test out a newer version? I strongly suspect the issues I had were related to the streaming client since it doesn't seem like any of my hardware is defective and I already tried an earlier version of Vive Hub. 

More info to report, tonight I played about 40 minutes of Pavlov in the XR Elite, wirelessly, no Code 912 on the way into SteamVR home or Pavlov

But I got Code 912 after exiting my game and before I could get back into SteamVR home.

Then when I tried closing Steam or quitting the VR client, I kept getting Code 912 over and over again, couldn't get back in, I obviously didn't change any settings when I exited the game.

closing and reopening Vive Hub, restarting the XR Elite, and closing SteamVR was what I had to do to get back into SteamVR home without facing Code 912 again.

Considering Code 912 happened transitioning from Pavlov into SteamVR home, I have to wonder if there's something else going on that has nothing to do with the network. 

On 7/20/2024 at 7:42 AM, Tausendberg said:

And the XR Elite itself, about a week ago I was occasionally having issues where I would be successfully streaming but then I would start to get a huge lag spike to the point SteamVR was unusable and quitting vive streaming inside the headset and turning the xr elite off and then on again and restarting streaming inside the xr elite, WITHOUT turning off steamvr or Vive hub, would clear it up, could something be wrong with my XR Elite to be causing a 912?

I'm sorry I can't be of any assistance regarding the 912 issue; I've only had that happen once and it cleared itself up after rebooting the headset. Hopefully someone else can help.

I was just wondering regarding the quoted text above, were you able to drain a full battery consistently using wireless 6E streaming before this issue you described started popping up? Because I literally experience this phenomenon every single time I play for long enough - it will always happen before my battery runs out of juice (sometimes after 20 minutes, sometimes after 45 minutes or an hour, but I can never drain a full charge without issue). I've only been in possession of this XR Elite for about 7 weeks and I've never known it not to do this. Something happens to it network-wise and it absolutely will not recover from whatever catastrophic failure it's experiencing no matter what I try.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if something in the recent updates changed it but I basically have the same exact settings as I did before I made this post and Code 912 never comes back now. 

I have no idea what changed but I guess the issue is resolved. Hopefully it stays that way. 

• Like 1