Bad to leave base stations on?

Drabus

Loving the Vive, not really any complaints. Love watching friends' reactions to trying it out for the first time.

I do have a question though. I keep the base stations in relatively hard-to-reach places, and I've been leaving them on. Is there any damage to them? Will it reduce their life expectancy, rather than going to unplug them and replug them in every time I play?

I wish there was a way to remotely turn them on/off but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case!

Thanks all!
-Drabus

• 3 months later...

My situation is the same as the OP in that it is difficult for me to plug/unplug each station every time I am using the system.  That little motor inside spins 24/7.  IMO, Vive needs to send out an update that will shut them down after a reasonable amount of idle time.

Actually, Valve does the software development for the base stations (as well as the rest of SteamVR) and as it so happens, they have included a feature that does this very thing! You'll need to have a PC that uses bluetooth, but if you do just follow these instructions:

1. Open the SteamVR desktop client.
  2. Expand the SteamVR drop-down menu.
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Switch to the General tab if not already selected.
  5. Click Install Bluetooth Driver if you are yet to do so.
  6. Check the box labeled Enable Bluetooth communication. A new section will appear below, affecting base station power options.
  7. Check the box labeled Put Base Station in Standby mode when VR is not in use. This will automatically power down the base stations when SteamVR is closed.
  8. To turn wake your base stations back up, just hit the Wake Up All Base Stations button.

And there you go!

Thanks,

-John C

Archived