Why does Vive not fulfill (or poorly fulfill) Canadian warranties?

Obibun

I am very confused by this. I was told (and read) that it was HTC's policy to cover shipping on defective / broken parts under warranty, even within Canada. 

I bought a Vive just a week or two ago and have a controller which was shipped with a dead-zone on the trackpad. Apparently this is an easy fix but also voids the warranty, so easier to send it in.

However I am told that I evidently have to pay my own shipping costs (not cheap at all) to send it to a warehouse? Not to mention the absurd waiting period?

I'm trying to understand why HTC is failing in this policy. I bought the product off Amazon Prime not even two weeks ago.. I could sooner return *the entire product* to Amazon Prime, with absolutely no cost to myself, and simply order another one. 

In which case HTC is on the hook for the costs of processing an entire product return, through a third party, than simply paying the shipping to fix a controller on warranty?

Can anyone explain this to me? It seems like HTC is dropping the ball big time. 

Hmmm, I would return it to Amazon, getting a controller with a dead spot on the track pad (slipped disk) makes it sound like Amazon sent you a Vive that was returned to them in the first place. So you basically got a used Vive package.

Regards: Jack

Here is a link to the Canadian Vive Warranty: http://dl4.htc.com/Web_materials/Manual/Warranty/Vive/VIVE(CE)_Warranties_CA._English.pdf?_ga=2.247850119.1260924781.1508162706-1299433128.1507822061

As you can see, it does state (on page 4) that: "You are responsible for costs in connection with the return of the Product or Accessory to HTC."

That said, I'd be happy to help you with your RMA situation. If you'd please PM me the ticket number and the tracking number if you have already sent the part in. If you have not gone forward with the RMA process already, please send me your order number or proof of purchase and I'll do my best to assist you.

Thank you!

-John C

Hi John,

As stated I received very different answers from various people (Amazon, HTC, and general internet) before ordering and many seemed to point to the same conclusion.

I am attaching a quick screenshot of a (rather popular) Reddit post regarding Vive warranty in Canada. Granted, it is from a year or so ago, but one assumes the policy simply doesn't change on a whim?

https://ibb.co/g8gPMR

tl;dr

A Canadian consumer had a Vive issue and went through same process. Was told he had to pay, but when he asked publicly was contacted by a representative of HTC Vive support (?) and told "their policy was to cover warranty related shipping costs even from Canada".. this he BOLDS. Then was sent a FedEx slip, then goes onto explain the rest of the process in detail which seemed fairly genial... so he probably didn't just fabricate it all.

Now do please tell me how someone who attempts to be an informed consumer, who reads popular (related) Reddit posts, asks customer service representatives prior to purchase, and so on - could be in the wrong for being so mislead?

And really, I'm just beating a dead horse here. I was sent a faulty product essentially after purchase - and HTC's solution is that I now have to pay MORE money to have the faulty product fixed? Do I mean to purchase the same thing twice? Absurd at its core.

This is not a "I've owned by Vive for nine months, played it lots, and there's a hardware fault" warranty issue.. this is a, "I just bought this product two weeks ago, have barely set it up and used, a specific game required use of both directional trackpads, I realized for the first time there was a deadzone on one, and suddenly I need to PAY to make this product I just purchased function as advertised?" level of absurdity.

I will look you up and continue this privately. But as the internet acts as a resource for future, I am writing this so that others purchasing may well end up here, read it over, and make an informed consumer decision. As much I tried to do.

I can't speak to what is being said on reddit threads or other sites on the internet, all I can say is what the warranty policy states, which I have provided a link to. Given that you're trying to get a replacement on a brand new purchase, I am going to PM you and continue the replacement aspect of this there so that you get a working controller ASAP.

Thank you,

-John C

Archived