Augmented Reality performance issues

Docbeamz

There appear to be performance issues with the Augmented Reality implementation of the Pro. The frame rate is really bad, the positioning is wrong (everything seems shifted down, and nothing matches up to the real world position, so you couldn't, say, reach out and pick something up), and the cameras are very blurry and grainy. 

It's possible that some of this is due to unfinished software, so my specific questions are: 

1. How do we fix the position offset? Is this due to us having an outdated version of Steam VR or something like that? 

2. Please elaborate on the framerate issues. It seems that with the Vive Pro, framerate is overall lower than with the regular Vive. Adding the camera seems to lower it further, and the camera seems to drop out for short periods of time... it's currently hard to tell if the entire app is pausing, or just the camera. 

3. What framerate is the camera recording/displaying at? 

4. Are there things we can detect in the environment, such as floor, walls, etc., to create more immersive AR experiences? (We could use this, for example, to put our video screens on the wall of the actual room)

My current setup is an i7 pc with a GTX 980 TI graphics card.

Hi Docbeanz,

Thanks for your feedback. The SR runtme performance issues are known and we are working to resolve these. To be specific, for 1) have you tried to calibrate the L and R cameras using the experience demo? There's also a known lag issue that may make it seem like the position offset is off but when not moving the HMD for the most part the position (assuming it's calibrated) should be positionally lined up with real world objects. Again use the experience demo to calibrate using your controllers.

For 2+3)  the aformentioned occasional pronounced lag when moving the HMD may give a low frame rate perception but I would recommend adding a visual FPS counter to objects in your scene to confirm your overall rate. The camera is similar to the existing camera on the current Vive, so it can be adjusted from 30-60 hz.  But note that in general integration with SteamVR settings is still a work in progress.

4 ) Yes, there is a dymanic mesh feature which allows you to place or bounce virtual objects in real time with scanned real objects you are facing. There's also the ability to create a static scan of the room which you can save and reload. Please see the experience demo to try these out. I would also recommend combining the mesh with the play area boundaries.

Please stay tuned as we may have another SR SDK update shortly.

-Dario

• 4 weeks later...

wrote:

There appear to be performance issues with the Augmented Reality implementation of the Pro. The frame rate is really bad, the positioning is wrong (everything seems shifted down, and nothing matches up to the real world position, so you couldn't, say, reach out and pick something up), and the cameras are very blurry and grainy. 

It's possible that some of this is due to unfinished software, so my specific questions are: 

1. How do we fix the position offset? Is this due to us having an outdated version of Steam VR or something like that? 

2. Please elaborate on the framerate issues. It seems that with the Vive Pro, framerate is overall lower than with the regular Vive. Adding the camera seems to lower it further, and the camera seems to drop out for short periods of time... it's currently hard to tell if the entire app is pausing, or just the camera. 

3. What framerate is the camera recording/displaying at? 

4. Are there things we can detect in the environment, such as floor, walls, etc., to create more immersive AR experiences? (We could use this, for example, to put our video screens on the wall of the actual room)

My current setup is an i7 pc with a GTX 980 TI graphics card.

Hi, be sure to update to the latest NVIDIA driver v. 390.77 that was released today:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/130637/en-us

Archived