Vive pro play area?

hermonir

Thanks for the reply. I saw that the new hardware is not available for purchase yet. 

Will the new software work with existing base stations? If I need a 4 base stations setup to cover a 10m x 10m area, could I get a new set with two base stations and use them with my existing base stations?

How about the trackers and the controllers?

The old base stations will not be compatible with the Tracking 2.0 base stations that Valve is working on. As that article explains, they actually changed the way the tracking is done. You can read about this here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/steamvrtracking/announcements/detail/1264796421606498053
That article goes into depth on compatibility with previous generation devices, and I highly recommend you give it a thorough read.

All that said, you still won't need more than two base stations with Valve's new system. The current configuration of two base stations on opposing corners of the room will continue to be the most common set up for most users. 3+ base stations come into play when you have extremely large play spaces or play spaces with multiple rooms.

Thank you,

-John C

Archived