Garbled audio on Vive Pro through SteamVR about 50% of the time

roadtovr_ben

Within the last few months, SteamVR has been sending garbled or 'corrupted' sounding audio to the Vive Pro headset about 50% of the time that I go to use the headset. Specifically, the garbled audio sounds like a slowed down version of whatever sound is supposed to be playing that's become extremely choppy. I haven't been able to nail down what's causing it or how to fix it, but I can usually get things working correctly by restarting my PC, or if that doesn't work, using SteamVR to remove all Vive USB devices and then unplugging everything and plugging back in.

If I use the Windows audio selector to pick the Vive Pro before launching SteamVR, the audio is almost always fine. The corrupted audio issue starts only after launching SteamVR.

• 4 months later...

Same problem here. It may be related to the Bass Boost option I have turned on (the bass is very weak by default), or the Default Format which I have tampered with - before I have done that, I didn't have this problem, "only" the audio turning off randomly. I never had any problems with the Oculus Rift headphones, those are way better. I am even considering removing these, and just use my Bose headphones to play - the difference in quality is astounding. Not sure if the Vive headphones are removable, though.

, the Vive Pro headphones are removable, deinstallation instructions are covered on Page 17 of the Owners Manual

Generally speaking, these problems have ended up being a bit difficult to troubleshoot because the audio is piped through Displayport so there is the additional layer of GPU drivers and audio routing to deal with on top of the Windows settings. It could be that your bass boost option is leading to gain levels that are causing clipping and that the DAC/amplifier may be shutting down to prevent damage to the circuitry. 

Thanks, I could remove the headphones easily.

Those Bose noise-cancelling headphones provide an experience from a different galaxy...

Next is replacing the lenses with the ones of the Oculus Rift I have. Then, maybe I can do something about the controllers. I have already bought wall mounts for the lighthouses, and replaced the padding in the headset. Seriously, how much more do I have to spend on this $1000 set to get a good experience? :smileyfrustrated:

Archived