Viveport desktop app missing?

Charles1

Yeah so my desktop app wouldn't open so I deleted the files and then tried to download it again from the downloads page on the htc website, but it didn't download and now I don't even have an app (although it wasn't working before). I am on windows 10 if that changes anything.

, So if I'm understanding this correct, you manually deleted the program files without using an uninstaller? This can lead to registry issues which may prevent the installer from working correctly. You can use this tool to fix your registry as a first step. When you say it didn't download, do you mean that Vivesw.exe failed to download from Vive.com or that the installer failed to download its packages after you'd already launched the installer? 

Yeah so I didn't realise that there was a program to uninstall it. I deleted it because it was constantly loading, i left it on for 12hrs and nothing changed. Then it said that it failed to download the files needed for the viveport desktop app

, this is a potential issue with any windows program that makes registry entries, not just Viveport. A windows uninstaller deletes all of the visible program files, deletes or modifies any critical registry entries, and reallocates the storage space as "free" so it can be overwritten. You've basically deleted the files but the registry still thinks that the app is still installed.

Were you able to have any luck with that windows tool?

Yeah so I know that I needed to use the program but I didn't know what to do and thought that it would be better if I wait to know what i need to do rather than doing something that would break something else. If there is an instruction sheet online that you know of could you send that?

, We're still working on a Viveport specific FAQ on that tool. I would basically follow the path for uninstalling a program and see if Viveport shows up on the list and if so, attempting to uninstall and repair the registry via that tool. If it does, that indicates that there are still registry enteries associated with it. You may have to try the "installing a program" option in your specific case. Report back what the tool says and we'll be better able to understand what the registry situation looks like on your specific windows installation. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived