HMD displays blinks purple on start, unable to connect to PC

Leeon

Hello, recently (few days ago) I start experiencing really nasty issue.

When PC starts and steam is started with SteamVR, I turn on Vive link to connect HMD into the system. Almost all the time HMD display just briefly blinks purple (repeatedly each second for about 5s than a pause, after couple of second the same repeats) and HMD is not able to initialise itself. There is still red LED showing on HMD, not going to green state, displays are not showing anything, just those short purple blinks all the time.

I need to restart the steam, sometimes restart HMD thru Vive link, sometimes even whole PC and after few tries and several minutes when I am lucky HMD starts properly.

I did not touched cables or didn't do any HW modifications for quite a while. There were new nVidia drivers, some W10 updates and SteamVR update, but I'm not sure if this can be anyhow connected.

Is anyone experiencing same issues?

May this be a hardware issue?

Check all the cables. Make sure there's no visible damage. Make sure everything is seated correctly. Then, re-install the drivers and steamVR. Test at each step. You can also bypass the linkbox as well. Make sure if you have more than one monitor, to disconnect them before testing.

Thank you,

-John C

Hello,
few days ago when HMD was not able to start again, turning off HTC link even raised blue screen (BSOD) on system.
After that I reinstalled Vive software completely as suggested, 2 days already without any issues. I'll keep watching the issue.

One more information: when I installed Vive soft. in the past, I uninstalled it and kept only Vive drivers in the system (I really don't need all those dashboards, markets and anything else, as I use VR only with one single application and having all those Steams and Vives starting creates huge overhead on the system). Maybe Vive drivers therefore were not updated for few months, as Vive software was missing and that might caused some incompatibility between SteamVR and Vive drivers.

wrote:

Try removing all the Vive software and just using SteamVR and see if that works better.

Thank you,

-John C

This is actually the way I am using Vive the whole time since I bought it few months ago - uninstallig Vive soft after its installation and keeping just Vive Drivers in system.

Few more observations: sometimes, when displays flashes purple, SteamVR already displays "Connected" and "Tracked" and LED indication on HMD is green.

Currently it is happening almost everytime I turn on PC for first time, reboot of whole PC usualy helps and second time Vive already connect and works properly.

I'm experiencing the same thing in the last 7 days reboots work the best for me too.

I'm on steamVR beta and have the viveport software always installed and running.

It happend just now after a Nvidia Driver update, Steam Home VR started fine the first time then I did the update and headset just pulses a puple colour, the small LED is red and pulses green very briefly for 0.5 sec and then repeats

Repluging the vive (Pro), and powercycling the connection box does nothing to help

Seems not just an isolated case and more people having same issue.

Lately PC goes to BSOD more often, when purple issue is present and I just turn off Vive Link. Error is about something like THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED or something like that.

Yesterday SteamVR was updated, but from changelog it does not look like this issue is adressed.

Nowadays in most cases when I boot PC, I need to reboot it right away to get rid of this issue, really unplesant.

Can we help somehow to Vive devs or Steam devs to collect some kind of logs?

Archived