How to be a part of the future

ScreaminSeaPanda

I want to become a part of the Vive team. The thing is, I don't have a background in it yet, but I want to start school here soon for virtual reality. I know VR is still in it's beginning but I want to be apart of the team, even if it takes a couple years to get there, but what do you guys need? I am willing to be molded into whatever you need me to be, I just want to be apart of it all.

, one neat thing about XR is that we really don't know how it will affect society. Arguably even better, now that it's picking up momentum that means that you definitely get to be a part in shaping it. The school system moves far too slowly to keep up to date with tech - as long as your paying attention to the right online and community resources, you can always be closer to the frontiers of the technology regardless of where you are in life. XR will draw from every aspect of human experience, skill, and culture so you really can't go wrong with just experimenting with what interests you.

I'm personally interested in the development side of VR and three free resources I've found to be very handy are The Voices of VRBrackeys, and 80.lv. These can teach you an awful lot about VR theory and content creation at your own pace and you get to decide what to learn about based on what interests you.

One of the most exciting things about this is that it's so new. As the others have said, we don't know exactly where it's going to go so right now, the sky is the limit and it's going to be a matter of innovators and visionaries hitting on ideas that no one even imagined before to open up possibilities that in 10-15 years we'll be amazed we were able to live without. 

There are a lot of ways to get involved right now and that is only going to expand as the technology matures. Take a look at our current career postings for an example of what we're looking for currently. (https://www.htc.com/us/working/careers/)  Remember, too, that a couple of years ago, almost no one had any experience in VR or AR at all. Very few people even knew what it was, so it's not to say that you can't contribute just because you haven't earned a degree focused in that specific direction.

The possibilities are endless, so long as you have the passion and the drive to be a part of this new industry, I think you'll find that there are many doors which will open up for you in time.

Just stay focused on what you want to do, develop your vision and never give up!
-John C

Archived