Vive Pro Plug and Play with Mojave???

davidastout3

Does anyone know what the state of this is?

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2018/611/

Here it seems very straightforward that Vive Pro will have support in the near future, and this was months ago.

I talked with someone in support who says that they devs are still working on it and there isn't a definite release date. Anyone have any more information about this?

Peace!

That's pretty much correct - it's still considered pre-consumer. Apple is manging their developer program and it's still an ongoing integration. The real issue is that developers have not compiled binaries for Mac so even if the hardware ran at 100% parity on MacOS; there would be no app library to support it. It's a little complex as Apple has their own shader libraries and computational architecture so it's not as easy as simply recompiling the app - there is some investment on the part of the developer to add MacOS support. 

Thanks, that makes sense!

I've talked a little with someone working on WebVR for Firefox, and it sounds like they've gotten both the Vive Pro and the Vive working with Firefox on a Mac. I think I'm going to try a little more to get the Vive Pro working with my Blackmagic eGPU and MacBook Pro so that I can try to do some testing in WebVR.

When I use Bootcamp, my Macbook recognizes that I have a Vive Pro display plugged in when I go to display settings, but I still have a red light on the left of the headset and Steam VR gives me a 208 or 212 error. Does this necessarily mean that the Vive Pro hardware or the adpater I'm using is 100% incompatible? 

This is the adapter I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018AX3HJO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

, to be honest I don't have firsthand experience with running Vive on Mac but I can draw from my general experience with Pro. I know as a whole, Apple is recommending the Sonnet breakout box as their enclosure of choice when using an eGPU - I haven't seen guidelines for other enclosures and their official developer programs strictly use the Sonnet. I tried posting a similar response to one of your other posts over the weekend but it looks like that post failed, sorry for that delay in comm. 

We've had success with that USB-C to Displayport Adapter in the past but it hasn't been 100% successful based on user reports; but it's not clean enough data to isolate it to PC or adapter. Also, those were on PC, not Mac hw. 

Here's the part that confuses me though - what's the adapter's role if you're using an eGPU? The Pro would be plugged in to the GPU directly and not into the laptop, right? I'll try to hunt down some additional support for this. 

Yeah, I guess I could have read more closely before I decided on an eGPU. The eGPU I'm using is the Blackmagic one that Apple offers...as a way to get into VR. It doesn't have Displayport, just HDMI and a bunch of thunderbolt 3 and USB cables, hence the adapter.

I'm a little suspicious that it's a problem with the adapter though given the amount of people (only a few, but still) who've had success with that exact adapter. Also, when I use it in Bootcamp I can see that it recognizes that the headset exists as a display. I just see the red light though. Pretty weird.

I'd guess that it has something to do with a missing driver. I don't actually know that though, just a wild, uneducated guess. I bought a regular Vive for now to at least get started. It was great for a few minutes, and then it crashed, and now all I get is a 306. Fun stuff..... :D

Archived