Base station not tracking

Blakay117

One of my base stations no longer appears in SteamVR. I tried to sync them up using the provided cable but no luck there. The base station is emitting no infrared light either and is humming much louder than the other. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

, is this 1.0 or 2.0?

This sounds like a mechanical issue. On 1.0 stations, it should report error 03 to Steam and flash a red LED. On 2.0 stations the white LED will instead be red. It's odd that you're not seeing these errors. 

The noise is a dead givewaway that it's a mechanical issue - these require physical servicing. You can initiate an RMA via the live chat on our support sites (https://www.vive.com/us/support/contactus/ for the US). Please stick to live chat and avoid using the email form. Just tell them that your station is having a mechanical issue and you need to preform an RMA. 

Sorry for the late response. I have a V1 but thee is no red LED and never has been. And I have been through the RMA process already and found no solution. Also, my warranty has expired and I really don’t feel like paying $140 to turn around in VR. I know you probably can’t give away this info nor do you know the exact issue with my device, but since I’m out of warranty can you perhaps tell me how to fix it myself?

The short answer is that you probably can't. I'm not aware of any cases of successfully repairing a base station at home. Even if you could replace the parts, you'd need to be able to recalibrate it with proprietary factory tools or it won't work properly. 

I know that's probably not what you were hoping to hear, but as far as I know that's the situation. The other option would be to buy one second hand from another user who upgraded to 2.0 tracking.

Thank you,

-John C

Archived