DELL INSPIRON 7577 stuttering when moving head (VIVE PRO)

Naidu Consulting

I have the dell inspiron 7577 with the following specs.

GTC 1060 with max Q design

i7-7700 HQ CPU @ 2.8GHZ

32 GB RAM

WINDOWS 10.

and we have the vive pro

The laptop does not have a display port only a usb c. So i bought a usb c to mini display port cable off amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/QGeeM-DisplayPort-Braided-Macbook-Thunderbolt2/dp/B0788N8K2R/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544105578&sr=1-7&keywords=usb+c+to+mini+display

Firstly the vive setup does not pick up the headset when the cable is plugged in but the headset still works and i can get into the house and play games as usual. However the headset constantly stutters when looking around. Is there a fix for this? It stutters even when no game is launched and you looking around the cliff house.

If we use the headset on a desktop pc with the normal display port to display port we have no issues/

Any help would be great. 

Thanks

Make sure your GPU drivers are up to date first. You can also adjust your Supersampling to improve performance.

1. Open the SteamVR desktop client.
  2. Expand the SteamVR drop-down menu.
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Switch to the Developer tab.
  5. Find the section titled Supersampling.
  6. Move the slider to the right to increase the rendered resolution, or move the slider left to decrease the rendered resolution.

I'm almost certain this due to your GPU. The Vive Pro is very demanding and it really doesn't get smooth/stable on most PCs until you're using a 1070. You can try the new motion smoothing option in combination with using the Global resolution (aka supersampling) override setting on the "Video" tab of SteamVR to reduce the demand on the CPU.

On the bottom lefthand of the SteamVR settings page, you'll see a little graph called the frame timing graph. If you're above 11.1ms, you'll see stuttering.

• 3 months later...

Hey David,
We are currently facing the same issue and struggle to find a solution. We have the same notebook with high-quality DisplayPort 1.2+ adapter.
Fast movements of the controller or rotational movement of the HMD cause this unpleasant jitter.
Did you find a solution?
Our current bet is that the USB-C port is connected to the Intel GPU instead of the NVIDIA GPU. We believe that routing the signal causes this visual problems.

Kind regards
B

Please refer to my screenshot below to check within SteamVR to see which GPU SteamVR is being driven by. If you are able to get an image on the HMD with that port, you're certainly using the 1060 as the integrated graphics on that laptop are too weak to initalize a Vive let alone a Vive Pro.

As far as I can tell the 7577 is running a 1060 Max-Q - that GPU is going to barely meet the Pro's requirements at 100% SS on any computer let alone within a laptop. Max-Q means that it's not equivalent to a desktop 1060 and that it's sacrificing power for battery, thermals, and form factor. You realistically need a 1070 chipset to drive a Pro on most laptops as laptops simply have reduced performance (unless you're spending $$$). 

Please go into SteamVR's settings panel and observe the frame timing graph in the bottom right hand corner. Please report back to what those values are. If the values are over 11.1ms - you're system is simply not powerful enough to render the current scene at the current resolution at 90FPS. You'll also want to ensure motion smoothing is enabled to ensure you have the best shot of hitting 11.1ms. 

If you end up being over 11.1ms you can try to use the manual override option I highlited in the image to reduce the HMD's demand on your GPU but you're going to have pretty limited results with a 1060-MaxQ

Archived