Headset/Controller Tracking Not Working

zappyjohn

Recently the tracking on my controller and headset for my HTC Vive has been a little out of wack. When I go to play a game, the controllers, as I am holding them in place, will fly out of my hand in game. And my headset (field of view) will do the exact same. I have read many other forum posts and watched many videos but to no avail. I am at a loss and I need help. There is no reflective metal that I can see in my room that would interfere with the cameras and even if there was I haven't added anything to my room up to today and they were working fine up till now. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

This typically indicates 1 of 2 things. 

• A reflection issue. You can typically correlate the behavior when facing a specific direction or if the controls fly in a specific direction. The system uses IR light so it's not a 1:1 between what's reflective in visible light vs what's reflective in IR spectrum so it can actually be a pain to debug a reflection.
    shows how you can use any simple flashlight such as that on a phone to detect reflective surfaces. 
  • USB Bandwidth issues
    • Try swapping which USB port the Vive is plugged into
    • Disable the onboard camera via the SteamVR settings panel. Disabling the cameras is a fix for alot of similar issues. 

Archived