I need a Computer

gfogelgolf

Ok I am an elementary school teacher and was fortunate to get a Vive donated to our class. The problem is I don't have a computer that (or I even know will support it)... So basically I'm sitting on a top of the line machine (we have an Oculus Go that we use) but don't have anything to run it. 

My problem is that I am going to be using my own money to by the computer and would LOVE to keep the costs down.... LIKE REALLY DOWN!

I don't know where to start, partly because I don't know much about computers... Can anyone point me to the right direction...

I was looking at the Lenovo Y53O but with an Intel Core i7 Processor 8750h.... (buddy told me to get that...)

First of all, I would not recommend buying a laptop to play VR. PC and laptop specs (even though might be the same on paper) have no comparison in performance. Moreover, for a really pricy laptop you can buy 2x better performance PC.

Build it on MicroATX motherboard and can be also quite small (to travel). But if for some reason you are forced to get a laptop, the one you chosen has 1050Ti GPU which does not reach the minimum specs provided by Vive:

Minimum Computer Specs
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4590 or AMD FX™ 8350, equivalent or better.
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970 or AMD Radeon ™ R9 290, equivalent or better. View the complete list >
Memory: 4 GB RAM or more
Video out: DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
USB ports: 1x USB 3.0 or newer port
Operating system: Windows® 7, Windows® 8.1 or later, Windows® 10
Upgrade to Windows® 10 for the best results with the dual front facing cameras
*Driver is required to download and install before using VIVE Pro under Windows® 7.
Recommended graphics for the best experience is NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070/Quadro P5000 or above, or AMD Radeon™ Vega 56 or above.

G3D Mark:
GeForce GTX 970 : 8,607
Radeon R9 290 / 390 : 7,129
and way down (probably even less points in laptop):
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti : 5,966

Source: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

So what I would recommend is to build a PC with GTX 1070 Mini card, 16GB RAM DDR4 etc. Approx same price (not sure cost of stuff in your country) far more better performance then that Lenovo Y53O

That's awesome that you're willing to make that investment into your students! I would agree with , a DIY PC build is definitely the way to keep costs down (at the tradeoff of your build time). As they pointed out, a 1050Ti is bad news bears and you'd need a laptop with a 1060 as a minimum. As far as VR laptops go, MSI makes the best budget VR laptops (bearing in mind that that cost is reflective of the build quality). This is probably the cheapest VR laptop of any quality. 

The cheapest turnkey VR solution I can think of is the Intel Haydes Canyon NUC. While I don't have firsthand experience with that NUC, I know that we've used it for demo stations before and that it runs most of the common apps, bearing in mind it won't do very graphically intensive things like FO4. The caveat for this system is that most VR titles are optimized for Nvidia cards rather than AMD.

MSI makes a similar miniPC with a desktop GTX1060. It doesn't have alot of RAM or VRam but it should cover basic Vive usage. A youtuber covered VR on this machine in this

You could try checking craigslist for deals but it may be more trouble than it's worth as you don't know much about PCs and might miss red flags. I know alot of people who've gotten really good budget VR PCs from PC builders who have surplus builds.

, It may be best to first ask what you're trying to show as that will really dicated the type of GPU you need. 

Do you have a Micro Center anywhere near you....I bought a PowerSpec G223 for around 800.00 to play PC games on about a year ago. I researched it and saw that it would handle VR. Just received my Vive today and it works just fine on it. 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/507160/powerspec-g223-desktop-computer

Forgot to mention this machine is NOT proprietary so you can upgrade the internals when need be and it's already built for you.

Archived