Impossible: HTC Vive an onboard USB from ASUS M5A99X EVO (BIOS 1708)?

Tobias Claren

Hello.

Is it impopssible to use a HTC Vive at a ASUS M5A99X EVO Mainboard Onbboard USB?

With BIOS 1708:
"Enhance compatibility with some USB devices."
( https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/M5A99X_EVO/HelpDesk_BIOS/ )

Are there known incompatibilities?
I had tried with USB2 und USB3 onboard. I think, two different chipsets (or not)?

If this is impossible, are there any suggestions for a cheap USB controller card (some €/$ from China by ebay?), that is compatible?

We've certainly seen reports of USB incompatibilities with the M5A99X EVO but these reports are mostly from the 2016 launch window so it's not something there's not really a wealth of recent data points on this MoBo. There are definitely some anecdotal stories of people resolving their USB issues by getting a new controller in combo with this MoBo. We mostly see reports about the z170 as it's more common.

I would say that it's certainly possible for the USB ports on Asus motherboards to be incompatible as they're often running a controller system called Asusmedia rather than letting the CPU act as the host.

The only USB card we recommend is from the brand Inateck - they've proven to be the most reliable USB controllers with Vive/Valve hardware. This card is known to be compatible with Vive and is on the affordable end of the PC hardware spectrum. 

Archived