Loading screen flashing up during game

nandrews

Does everyone else see the Vive (Steam etc) 'Loading' screen flash up during games, sometimes when it is moving to a new section?

It seems a bit odd and rather distracting. Such as maybe leaving one room in a game to enter another, but as it does it briefly flashes to the default 'Loading' screen once or twice, before it shows you in the new room.

I am wondering, if I am the only one, if my HD is slow and loading the new section which should be transparent, is causing it to show the 'Loading' screen.

Nigel

Hey , if you mean you're seeing the 'default' loading area - which can be the mountainside environment, or whatever you've selected - you're not alone. It can and does happen, and it seems to be down to the app or game in question. I've certainly seen it a few times in different places.

Hey Nandrews,

Based on what I've read and experienced myself, I believe at this time it's happenening when games and apps enter a transitional or loading sequence and don't have their own loading/transition screen programmed in. Some games have their own screen (I believe it's referred to as a 'skybox') programmed in, while others rely on SteamVRs default which is the wallpaper/background seen in the HMD when a game or app is not running.

Improving you PCs read/write speed (either with the hard drive or another component being upgraded, or some other method) should reduce the time spent on these screens, but will never completely remove them. Based on the info you've provided so far it sounds like things are working as they should be, but I can definitely see this behavior looking like it might a problem.

Hopefully this information helps. If you're seeing a different behavior or this doesn't seem to be what's going on, let us know and we'll investigate further!

Seluecos,

Thanks for that detail. I understand that now.

I will try some defragmenting on my drive, although the games are stored on an SSD, so it likely won't benefit that.

I must also remember to disable some of the overheads such a Anti Virus.

Nigel

Sounds like a plan! Let us know what happens, as I'm definitely curious.

One thing I'd like to confirm: When you get the screen, do you see anything specifically saying 'Loading' or perhaps 'Now Playing', or is it only the background image (like when no game is actively open)?

Seluecos,

I will pay more attention next time it happens, though in any case it is quite brief.

But from memory it definitely has the vertical square often with the rising vertical bars and possibly 'Loading' showing.

It's not so much how long it shows, but that it shows at all. Being often in the middle of some action, it kind of breaks the impression.

I can definitely sympathize. If it's happening when you're not expecting a loading screen or transition to a new scene, it sounds like this is a different behavior than what  and I were thinking.

I'd hold off on the defragmentation as a troubleshooting step for the moment (it's rarely a bad idea to do one though). From my research, this could be a SteamVR bug or it could be an expected symptom as part of a performance related issue. Try checking if you see any CPU spikes or dropped frames. Some users have reported that the display on the monitor does not show the loading screen you described and continues to show proper tracking/movement of the HMD, but is really choppy and laggy.

Can you try getting it to happen again, then enable 'Display Mirror' (it's in the SteamVR dropdown menu) and see if it happens? Most games open a window on the desktop that shows what the user wearing the HMD sees, and enabling Display Mirror should pop open a 2nd window showing what each eye of the HMD is displaying. I've seen some talk around the web that using Display Mode may prevent the issue from happening and I'm curious to see if this proves to be the case for what you've been experiencing too. If it does change things at all, please make a system report and email it to me (I'll PM you my email address). 

I appreciate you working with me while I investigate this behavior, and look forward to hearing about what you find!

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

Developers can affect the loading overlay with their own, or change the color at the very least. Unity developers should look at SteamVR plugin's SteamVR_LoadLevel script which wraps OpenVR's IVRCompositor::FadeToColor and FadeGrid (for those using other engines)

You can also provide your own skybox. Unity developers look at SteamVR_Skybox which again for non Unity developers wraps OpenVR's IVRCompositor::SetSkyboxOverride but please note that the textures should be uncompressed.

-Dario

Archived