Head unit goes black in game

RickB

Hi all, 

Just got a brand new vive. Got it setup, firmware updates were sucessful.  Things seemed to be running fine (finicky, but working).  All of a sudden I started having an issue where in while in the game, the display goes black.  The game will still be running on the computer, but I loose connectivity to the head unit.

I've checked the connection on the head unit itself by lifting the cover.  All connections are tight from head unit, to the box, to the computer.  

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, I don't think anything goes wrong with the audio.  I'll double check next time I play though. I've noticed that this seems to be happening in all games.  At some point, the display will go black no matter which game I'm playing.  

Any reflective surfaces around? I have a large tv and when i get close to that i go black. just take a step back. also  mirrors, windows all cause the same issue. 

how do you restore your picture do you have to reboot or does it just come back

look in you vserver.txt log and check if there is an entry 'entering standby' at the same time when the headset goes black in a game, followed a few seconds later by a 'leaving standby' entry when the headset turns back on.  The iRacing forums have people with this problem and the common thing seems to be the headset going into power saving mode while it is being worn.  It goes into power saving mode, then immediatly wakes back up again from the headset movement.  It shouldn't be going into power save mode in the first place.  You get an entry in the vserver.txt log when the headset does this.  

wrote:

Any reflective surfaces around? I have a large tv and when i get close to that i go black. just take a step back. also  mirrors, windows all cause the same issue. 

how do you restore your picture do you have to reboot or does it just come back

HI... There is a mirror on the wall.  About 2'6" by 3'6"

Off the top of my head I can't say with any certainty that I was facing the mirror when it happen.  

There IS the possibility that the lighthouse beams COULD be reflecting off this surface.  Is that where you going with this?

To restore, I have to completely unplug the little box that sits between all the cabling and reboot my computer.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

wrote:

look in you vserver.txt log and check if there is an entry 'entering standby' at the same time when the headset goes black in a game, followed a few seconds later by a 'leaving standby' entry when the headset turns back on.  The iRacing forums have people with this problem and the common thing seems to be the headset going into power saving mode while it is being worn.  It goes into power saving mode, then immediatly wakes back up again from the headset movement.  It shouldn't be going into power save mode in the first place.  You get an entry in the vserver.txt log when the headset does this.  

Ok, next time I fire up my computer that this runs on, I will check the log.  I can say that the headset never seems to come out of any type of standby.  Just goes black and stays there. 

Thank you very much for your help! :)

wrote:

Hi Rick,

Please check if you have both your HDMI (HMD and screen)  connected to the same graphics card.  

Also check if your graphics card driver is up to date.  

Thanks. 

Cory C.  

Hi Cory thanks for the reply, my computer is an Asus G752VS laptop.

• Intel® Core i7 6700HQ Processor
  • NVIDIA GeForce 1070
  • 1 HDMI
  • 1 Mini Display Port

All drivers for the laptop seem to be up to date. 

Archived