My controller goes squeak!

jsho

I have had my Vive for about a month now.  I have probly spent around 10-15 hours playing it in total.  Well I went to use it yesterday and one of my controllers triggers now makes a squeaking sound when pressed.  It feels different then the normal working other controller.  You can feel the spring inside compressing and depressing every time you squeeze it. 

It still works as intended but it is ruining by virtual reality experience.  Also I am concerned that it may end up not working at all.  Is this something I should contact vive support for to get fixed?  I have read numerous stories where people have faulty vives or controllers or whatever and that htc customer support is horrible.  Also I have not dropped nor hit the wall with the controller or damaged it in any way.   Thanks for your time.

• 8 months later...

Ok, you're going to think I'm insane but here it is. Simply depress the trigger, and blow (don't spittle) into the opening at the top of the trigger reasonably hard. Like you're trying to clear the dust out of an old games cartridge. I did this out of desperation after reading about all the lube that people were pouring into the controller but the trigger rides on a lube-free joint, so your squeeking, like mine is probably based on a bit of junk being stuck in there. My trigger is now smooth as it was on day 1 and quiet as a church mouse. Done. You're welcome. :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks a million for the tip!! Mine was squeaking and clicking, and blowing into it as described did actually solve the issue. It hasn't had that much use, and definitely isn't visibly dirty or dusty, but that did the trick!

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey man, i just made a profile just so i could thank you! I have had my vive for about 3 months now, and the controller just started squeaking on me. I was watching youtube videos on how to take the controller apart because i thought that was i was gonna have the lube the trigger to make it stop. Well thank god i came across your post! I only had to blow into it one time with the trigger squeezed and wala! Long story short, THANK YOU!

Archived