Vive FAQ: What should I do if my controller won't turn on?

Mike

Try these troubleshooting suggestions:

• Press and hold the System button for at least 5 seconds and see if the controller turns on.
  • Charge the controller using the other cable and adapter, and plug the adapter to a different power outlet.
  • On the SteamVR dashboard, check if the controllers are detected. If controllers are detected but the LED light is off, it may indicate an issue with the LED.
  • Check if you have a firmware update that failed. To recover from this error, see My controller won't turn on after I accidentally unplugged it during firmware update. What should I do?.

• 1 year later...

What if controller breaks? My brother had accidentally knocked over something in the corner of the room (outside of chaperon area) while playing Superhot VR. It would be easy to accidentally hit the wall or a window instead which could break the controller. Has HTC made and send extra controllers in case this happens? Can I buy one from nearest store that sells Vive, or would I need to order it from all the way of Taiwan?

Hi , 

Warranty does not cover physical damage; you can use live chat to request an RMA which could cost less to repair than buying a new controller. Depending on how severe the damage is, it may not be something that can be repaired. You can purchase additional Vive controllers from our accessories page; they ship from whichever regional distribution hub is closest to you. 

• 2 weeks later...

What if my controller was working fine for about 20 minutes, then randomly just stopped working. It was not dropped, thrown, hit, and did not take any physical damage. The controller will no longer turn on and when we plug it in, the light does not turn orange as it is supposed to. Will VIVE replace it since I did nothing to damage it?

Archived