Vive controllers and anything with a throttle control

CaTaPulT

This message is meant for the Vive Moderators but anyone can hop in with your experiences and hardware......

I've been reading that I'm not alone with my problem, I do sim racing so I use a Thrustmaster T500 wheel and pedal set. When the wheel is turned on (pedals are also live), the Vive controller acts reall weird, for example, if in the SteamVR dashboard, the pointer will blink like crazy and chosing a option in the VR dashboard is by constantly trying to trigger the option I want to sellect and hope it triggers between blinks. I've been reading a lot of people using wheels and pedals and also flight sticks with a throttle control are having these issues. When I turn off the wheel (I turn off the power instead of unplugging the USB plug) then the Vive Controllers work perfectly.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this issue with something like a firmware update for the controllers?

Regards: Jack

Hi John.

I'm using a Trustmaster T500rs wheel and pedal set, I do have a LoadCell (aftermarket peice) installed on the brake pedal, it makes it feel more realistic and a better overall feel when braking.

When I have the wheel (pedal set is pluged into the wheel) turned on, the Vive controllers act very strangely, in example in the Dashboard.... trying to get to settings to use "night mode" is almost impossible since the beam from the controllers in the dashboard blinks quickly and when hitting the trigger button on the Vive controller to chose a option it doesn't seem to register (almost like a bad mouse button), so getting anything in the dashboard to work is very difficult. If I turn off the wheel (at the power source, I leave it plugged into USB) then the Vive controllers work fine once again. So I can't use the Vive conrollers while the wheel is on, so I leave the controllers off to fire up and use either Project Cars or Assetto Corsa or American Truck Simulator (VR suported titles). I've read on the internet that some flight sim people are having this issue with certain joysticks, the ones that have throttle controls. So it's not a isolated issue with just me.

Thank you for your time.

Hi again John.

I just read that this problem has been fixed with the latest SteamVR update.

I just tried it and had mixed results, in both Project Cars and American Truck Simulator, once in game, if I brought up the VR dashboard, I could choose night mode but then the problem started again, and unchoosing night mode or doing anything else in the dashboard was very difficult. But with Assetto Corsa, it worked fine. The difference between the 2 driving titles with the problem and Assetto Corsa is the two first ones are fully VR, menus and everything, whereas Assetto Corsa's menus are still handled on a regular monitor and you only go into VR once you choose to race or watch a replay. The dashboard seems to work well with this title. So this may be a SteamVR problem or the driving game software itself. Once the Vive controller starts acting funky, I have to close SteamVR and restart it to cure the problem. But without starting either sim titles, the Vive controllers now work fine even with the wheel turned on, where it didn't before the SteamVR update (couple days ago or so). Just thought I'd let you know! :)

Regards:  Jack

Hi John.

Actually, no I didn't, I normally turn off the wheel when not using Racing Sims to try and prolong the life of it since it's a fairly expensive unit. I do the same with my Vive, I turn off the Lighthouses and power / USB to the headset when I'm not using that computer (power off for the night).

I have noticed there are a lot of badly written software for VR, from programs that won't start one day and will the next to programs that won't close down properly or really screw up SteamVR to the point of needing a reboot. Hopefully as time progresses and VR becomes more maintream, these issues will be resolved.

Thanks John.

I went to the site you listed but cannot find a executable dashfix file, even in the txt file they mention running dashfix.exe but yet cannot find this file, all I see regarding dashfix seems to be source code or something to that effect and I have no idea how to compile it if it is source code.

Thanks anyways. :)

Archived