How to disable OVRservice (Oculus) from running

CaTaPulT

Hi everyone.

I don't know about you, but I have Oculus Home installed and everytime I first do something with my Vive, Oculus home fires up and is annoying especially when not wanted. Oculus runs something in the background and autoloads it when you start your computer and this is what calls up Oculus home to start when you do pretty much anything in the Vive. Here's a way to stop that from happening. :)

I found this little batch file that stops "OVRService" in the background, once this is stopped, Oculus Home doesn't start up when you do something with the Vive.

All you have to do is copy and paste this into notepad, and save it to your desktop and call it what you want (mine is OVRService on_off.bat). Once you have this on your desktop, right click it, run it as administrator and it will stop the OVRservice process, do this again to turn it back on. :)

Here's the batch file.... I added the pause command so you have a chance to read it, just press any key to close the batch window.

sc config OVRService start= demand
net start "OVRService"
if %errorlevel% == 2 net stop "OVRService"
pause

Regards: Jack

PS: I just tested this and as long as you have "Revive" installed, you'll still have access to the software you downloaded from Oculus Home through the Revive dashboard option. :)

Update, when you disable OVRservice from running with that batch file, it stays disabled even after a reboot. The other thing I've noticed is my VR software seems to run better, as in starting the VR program and when ending it. Often when OVRservice was running, certain programs would not close properly and would cause grief when trying to run a different VR program afterwards, I would either have to shut down SteamVR and start it again or have to reboot the computer. So far, not having OVRservice running has been great and I still have full access to all the stuff I had downloaded from the Oculus Home site available in the Revive dashboard! :)

Regards: Jack

Update: when OVRservice and Oculus Home is not running, some Oculus software may not work, especially games (I tested this with Lucky's Tale and few other freebie games), you have to run that batch file again (as administrator) to enable OVRservice. This is a small price to pay to not have this Oculus software running unless needed. As stated, I find things run smoother without it running for non Oculus stuff. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much, worked instantly. Was just cursing oculus for being so annoying and hopefully I never will have to again. Small Note: I had to run the file in administrator if it doesn't work for someone.

Archived