Permanent spot seen through both lenses of Vive Pro 2

CSW

Today just noticed I have this permanent spot which I can see through both lenses.

Attached is my artist impression of how it looks, not a photo. But I'm guessing I need a replacement?

Have never used it in sunlight and always turn off and unplug after use.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

@CSW I highly suspect that's a burn mark from exposure to the sun.

@GAMEDRIX You can post a pic here for an opinion, but if you have a spot on each display in roughly roughly same location, and they weren't there out of the box it's could be exposure to sunlight. Mild cases will be a slightly white spot, more extreme cases will lead to complete failure of the pixels. Often times there can be a streak which is caused by the pathway of the sun as it moves through the sky. The lenses act like magnifying glasses. Even incidental and diffuse light can become concentrated enough to damage a display.

The first thing I do when I unbox an HMD is very carefully take note of what the displays look like and if there are any imperfections. Once a headset has gotten some use, it's hard to tell what's a factory problem and what's caused by real-world usage.

I've personally murdered ~5 HMDs by accidental sunlight exposure - it's so easy. I now keep all of my headsets stored in Nanuck cases and always use either silicon lens caps, or I'll cut one out of silicon/rubber if one is not available from a 3rd party.

If an issue is with a display panel itself - the entire panel tends to die. Things like burns are one of the few localized issues you can have with a modern panel. Burns can theoretically come from part of a PCB failing on the back side of the panel or the main circuit board, but in those cases the headset usually has bigger problems and won't function at all.

On 1/31/2022 at 9:33 PM, HackPerception said:

@CSW I highly suspect that's a burn mark from exposure to the sun.

@GAMEDRIX You can post a pic here for an opinion, but if you have a spot on each display in roughly roughly same location, and they weren't there out of the box it's could be exposure to sunlight. Mild cases will be a slightly white spot, more extreme cases will lead to complete failure of the pixels. Often times there can be a streak which is caused by the pathway of the sun as it moves through the sky. The lenses act like magnifying glasses. Even incidental and diffuse light can become concentrated enough to damage a display.

The first thing I do when I unbox an HMD is very carefully take note of what the displays look like and if there are any imperfections. Once a headset has gotten some use, it's hard to tell what's a factory problem and what's caused by real-world usage.

I've personally murdered ~5 HMDs by accidental sunlight exposure - it's so easy. I now keep all of my headsets stored in Nanuck cases and always use either silicon lens caps, or I'll cut one out of silicon/rubber if one is not available from a 3rd party.

If an issue is with a display panel itself - the entire panel tends to die. Things like burns are one of the few localized issues you can have with a modern panel. Burns can theoretically come from part of a PCB failing on the back side of the panel or the main circuit board, but in those cases the headset usually has bigger problems and won't function at all.

Hello and thank you for your answer. 

For the sunlight exposure it's impossible since I don't have any windows in my room, it looks like white spots on lcd displays see the photos I joined + an actual video of my vive pro 2 which 2 of them are visible on screen and they always disappeared about 40 minutes of use when the screen heats up.. Any thoughts ?

My retailer gave me 2 replacements and both of them had these spots one with 3 spots on both lenses and the other with 8 on the left lense, the really weird thing is that they disappear when they heat up for 40 minutes, but when you stop and run the headset again after it cooled down it becomes really noticeable again.

image.png.0d6ec5ef93c0ea25b6295fec99e07419.png

• Like 1

IT IS NOT sun exposure, my room is isolated and there's absolutely no lights coming in. A screen burn would NOT disappear after a while just like in my case and doesn't look as the spots showing there, it looks like some sort of display glitch or a default in manufacturing display-wise, seems like a bad isolation between the panel and the backlight coverage which does reinforce with heat which explains why It fades away about 40 min with heat but come back when cooled down not using it.

Edited by GAMEDRIX

4 hours ago, HackPerception said:

@GAMEDRIX - I'll flag this to the HW R&D team (who will review after LNY). I am not associated with the hardware team, but if the pattern is changing with usage, and thermal-cycles I would likely come to a similar conclusion as you.

Yep, Thank you very much,  for now,  I had a good deal with my retailer at LDLC, they tested the one that I sent to them, they confirmed the failure and they will of course send it to HTC. 

The deal is again a new sealed replacement within their stock a third time, they will this time open the new sealed one and test it themselves to see if the displays are ok since both of headsets I had with those spots were not there the very first day but always 2 or 3 days later. That is really weird, the very first one didn't have these things on there I had made an rma for the vertical scanlines and the static noise in headphones but right now I don't even care about these issues anymore I could live with it even if it's far from perfect and there are still no fix with collumn correction like the index.

When considering how cautious I was towards the headset and the fact that I have the original vive since may 2016 and it still works like magic I'm really wondering why is there so many failures with the display, maybe I'm just as some others with extremely bad luck.

Edited by GAMEDRIX

• 6 months later...