BSOD when plugging in Vive

THT

This issue is still alive and well. Viveport broke my Windows 10 installation SEVEN times this weekend. Each time, resulted in a BSOD that rendered my OS unusable and irrecoverable. The Vive has been packed up and is going back to HTC this morning. My friends have said I should try again but without Viveport but honestly, I'm so frustrated and incensed that I'd rather deny HTC the profit from the sale and return the unit than go through the process of setting it all back up again.

Hi 

I'm sorry for your troubles.  Can you confirm at which point the blue screen occured in the process? Was it when you plugged in the Vive to the PC?

Can you also provide some info on your system? Make/model/graphics/RAM  etc.

Thank you,

John

Yes, once the Vive was plugged in, the BSOD would result.

Asus X99A USB 3.1
Intel 5820K
32GB Corsair DDR4 PC3000
GTX 1070 FE
RAID0 Samsung 850 Pro SSD array

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks.  I'm jealous of the RAM :smileyhappy:

Can you also send me the Windows version and build by typing winver in run.exe?

Let me cross reference your set up against other cases and I'll reply with more info shortly.

I suspect something on the USB side of things but naturally having you attempt to plug things in at this stage with the risk of a BSOD frying your install is not a scalable solution nor a proper experience for you.

I'm assuming you've been able to restore your Windows install at this point?  If so can you also share any motherboard and other utilities that you run?

Are you located in the US?

Thanks again, please stand by while I look into a few things.

John

Windows build is whatever was most recent as of this past weekend. The first thing I do is update the OS after installing motherboard/system drivers. The system would crash irreparably regardless of the monitoring tools once the Vive was plugged in.

At this time, I have not had a chance to reinstall Windows as I gave up last night due to frustration. Yes, I am located in the US.

Thanks 

We have another case with the same behavior and it happens to also be the same motherboard.  I'm not stating that this is a cause, but just noting the similarity and the only other case I've seen with these types of symptoms.  We have had challenges with a handful of Asus motherboards in the past, specifically their USB controllers as well as their motherboard utility tools such as their ASMedia USB software suite, which is why I was asking about possible utilities installed.

I will investigate some mroe and respond back, I may not have an update today but will let you know either way.

In the meantime, if you do get a chance to get Windows up and running let me know some of the info when you have a moment, as well as the MB bios version.

Thank you,

John

The only Asus utility I use is AISuite3 for overclocking purposes. I tried with and without that installed and the system would still be broken by the Vive being plugged in though. I'll get you a list of drivers and revisions when I get that machine running again.

Edit: Before doing this, just let me know what options you have for USB in the BIOS. I just realized that your board may not have any USB besides 3.0/3.1  (i.e. no USB 2)

My first objective is to narrow down the USB 3/3.1 ports on the USB causing the BSOD when plugging in the Vive. This has occured in the past with other Asus motherboards.

Thanks, John

If you are able to get into the BIOS, try disabling the USB 3.0/3.1 ports (make sure your Vive is unplugged from the PC).

Does it allow you to boot back in to Windows?

Let me know when you can.

This board does call out USB 3.0/3.1 separate of 2.0 and I can disable/enable them independently. I no longer have a Vive to test this with as I shipped it back to HTC and I have also already reinstalled Windows. Shortly after, I discovered that a 6TB archival drive in the machine (which was being written to during the last crash) was malfunctioning so checking/repairing it consumed the remainder of the evening. Thankfully, that's been repaired without issue or data loss.

If you need a guinea pig, I can certainly set up the system to do that however you'll need to provide a headset (which I'll provide a CC # for as a sign of good faith) however I didn't want to get stuck with the Vive and had a limited return window to send it back.

• 4 months later...

FIXED!

Fabulous news! I have figured out definitely what is going on.

After reviewing Viveport logs, the problem is the client "Your computer" connecting out to the server computers. I know you might be playing games you think are downloaded into your computer but that is not the case entirely

READ MORE BEFORE MOVING ON TO THE NEXT POSTING THIS IS THE FIX...

You are probably running a VPN or some firewall. Turn off all Firewalls and VPNs or any other software you use to hide your IP etc. After that will fix some games now how to fix the rest you have to turn off all ANTIVIRUS OR VIRUS PROTECTION SOFTWARE ALL.

WHAT HAPPENED TO ME...

I too was getting the blue screen of death right when I clicked on a game to play. Some Vr games would even load but not let me connect to the room. Simply giving a connection error about logging in. This will also fix games that won't allow you to play online. These games might just send you back to the lobby because you are using a VPN or program that hides your IP games like "Pavlov" After days of reading posts and checking USB ports (that was not the problem) the above fixes all my issues and it will fix most or all your issues as well.

Hope this helps

GOD BLESS!