Keyboard and mouse in VR

Hi everyone.

Just venting in a way but how many of you get annoyed by VR software that requires a keyboard and mouse to use?????

If a person is in VR, then chances are they do not have easy access to a keyboard and mouse, and if they do, they have to constantly lift the VR headset to see what they are doing at the keyboard. Doesn't this defy the use and purpose of VR?

I know I'm knit picking here, but this does drive me crazy.

To any software developer, please STOP making your software keyboard and mouse dependent, it's why we have VR controllers or at the very least something like a Xbox controller.

When in VR, we wish to stay in VR and not ruin the experience by having to lift to use a keyboard. :)

Rant over..... thank you for listening! LOL

Regards:  Jack

Totally Agree i refuse to buy games that do not support the vive controllers.
there are some excellent VR keyboards if you need to type something in game but to play it then its gotta be on the wands.  
Its either VR All the way or NO WAY. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I must say that my biggest issue that I have with the initial generation of VR is the lack of mapping for a mouse and/or Keyboard. If HTC Released a compatible Keyboard and mouse that used the same tracking technology. Bam. I can use both it virtual desktop and environments to do my work. All of a sudden a sea of software that used to be available only on Desktop can also be implemented in virtual environments. 

Last and this is just a idea. Imagine if there was also a way for the HTC to detect the wacom tablet... there you go, you do not need a Cintiq anymore.... These however are just ideas. Might not work in practice.... Still cool to think the plausibilities.a

I can assure you that these devices are right around the corner and that the consumer release of the Vive tracker will allow for a variety of mixed reality I/O devices. I am personally very excited for VR styluses such as this prototype not only because they will enable any surface to become a tablet but because they will allow for more precise control for 3D artwork. 

• 5 months later...

I agree with CaTaPulT and Se7en11.... I wanted very much to buy and play Subnautica.... but that game does not work with my HTC Vive controllers.... so I will purchase a different game.

My HTC Vive and its controllers work GREAT for games like: Arizona Sunshine, Obduction, The Gallery (part 1 and 2), Job simulator, Star Trek Bridge Crew, etc.

wrote:

I agree with CaTaPulT and Se7en11.... I wanted very much to buy and play Subnautica.... but that game does not work with my HTC Vive controllers.... so I will purchase a different game.

My HTC Vive and its controllers work GREAT for games like: Arizona Sunshine, Obduction, The Gallery (part 1 and 2), Job simulator, Star Trek Bridge Crew, etc.

The Devs of Subnautica were not that interested in the VR side of the game when it was in EA now its a full release there is hope it will be looked at again. 

But if you want a game that is similar to Subnautica but set in Space try Star Shelter. I highly recommend it.

Archived