Room Scale save?

CaTaPulT

Hello everyone.

Is there a way of saving my Room Scale information in SteamVR so I could switch between Room Scale and Sitting/Standing modes without having to re-calibrate the Room every time I switch between the two?

I sometimes have to switch since I'm a Sim Racer (with full cockpit) and the Sim titles I have that support VR seem to work better when using sitting/standing. But I like Room Scale better for everything else.

If there's a way I could switch between the two modes without having to calibrate every time, it would be awesome.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards: Jack

You should be able to just sit down without having to recalibrate anything. If you go into developer settings you can turn off the chaperone if you don't want to see the barrier in game. Additionally, if you want to go the extra mile.

This guy created some scripts which will allow switching chaperone configurations
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4d3c6h/i_made_some_small_batch_files_for_switching/

Warning: We haven't tested this, so we can't vouch for it in any way.

Thanks,

-John C

Thank you for the input John.

To be honest, not sure I want to have to run a crap load of batch files to do what I would like to do, hopefully Room Scale setup and Sitting/Standing setup saving will become a future feature of SteamVR. My room stays the same and so does my cockpit when I race. Some racing software titles implementation of VR is not the best, like one I have doesn't even look at the headset to see where it pointing so it displays the menu behind me. I just found out I can center that by hitting the left CTRL key. I'm looking forward to seeing a sim where it has VR in mind from the ground up since all of them seem to have VR added as a after thought so implementation leaves a lot to be desired (menus not in VR, need to use keyboard and mouse to navigate menus and so on).

It's a royal pain in the butt to constantly have to lift the Vive up a little to see my keyboard so I can get into a race! LOL :P

Take care

Definitely! I suppose some of it has to do with the way each application was designed. A lot of the earlier games with VR support weren't created with Room Scale in mind, rather they were intended for Sit-Down or Standing-Only experiences, and because of that, you get strange events such as the menu appearing behind you.

It's a good idea though. Since Valve does the development for SteamVR, perhaps you could recommend that feature to them on their forums? We'll certainly offer it as an idea to them as well.

Thanks,

-John C

• 3 months later...

Same thing here. I use Virtuix Omni platform that obviously use Standing mode. And I play many titles in Room scale. I have large room stationary lighthouses setup. And every time I have to recalibrate space. This is the most annoying operation Im performing on a daily basis.

That switch room/standing feature in SteamVR would be pretty simple to implement and extremely useful in growing market.

Hi Escknx.

If you have the "Advanced Option" add on (Open VR) in your SteamVR dashboard. You can save multiple room scale setups under different names and recall them as needed. Look under the chaperone option there, it seems to work well. :)

Archived