4 Htc vive focus 3 for wireless gaming problem

εscape

I have 2.5gbps switch and Tp link EAP 670 6 wifi access point.

When I use 2 vives I can play almost flawless with little crack on sound but if 3rd connects everything lags and is unplayable.

Using 4 computers for each headset (I5 10600, 16 gb ram, ssd, and RTX 3060).

Using  Vive business streaming app and also tried different combination with bitrate or graphics setting.

The CPU on 40-50% and GPU on 70-80%(no bottleneck)

Changed also the resolution on steam Vr but no luck.

Suggestions?

Thank you.

It's a bit difficult to give any advice on this without more information!

Are all PCs connected into the switch? Can you verify that all the ports are running at 2.5Gb (especially the AP).

What switch is it? What sort of configuration is on the switch (STP, jumbo frames, flow control etc).

Is there any sort of QOS/traffic management on the switch or AP?

Can you verify that all the headsets are actually connected via Wi-Fi 5/6 frequencies?

Bear in mind that 2.5 Gb on copper connections is in reality much less.

Edited by Beta_Tester

Access point TP-LINK EAP 670 WIFI 6.

Switch TP-LINK-SG108-M2 2.5 GBPS.(tried another switch but same situation)

Everything is connected 2.5gpbs and checked (cat 6 cable)

No manage on AP or switch only the 4 headset are connected.

Headsets connected on 5ghz freq.

Tried channels width 40,80,160.

Wireless mode 802.11a/n/ac/ax mixed.

Tried 2 seperate AP and connected 2 computers on each one, there were improvement but not perfect till I chop bit rate to 30-40 and quality on balance and lower.(Business streaming settings).

Edited by εscape

• 3 months later...

Do you have OFDMA enabled on the AP? TP-Link EAPs have that disabled by default, but it's one of the most important features in Wifi6 if you want to connect multiple streaming devices. Otherwise, devices wait for each other before receiving information and that's just not fast enough for VR. Also 5 GHz crosses over a whole lot of public services, such as ship, flight or weather radar. That part of the band is called DFS (dynamic frequency selection). So if the AP is using auto channels, it may randomly switch between channels that provide the most available bandwidth. Not just DFS, but also other networks in your vincinity can cause these channel swaps. These swaps take time and make VR unplayable. Which is why you should always define a specific channel for your AP and make sure it's wide enough (e.g. 80 MHz). You should always try to select a channel that is not crossing over with DFS cause that could shut your entire network down for something like 10 minutes.

• Like 1