SteamVR is dead right now

CaTaPulT

Hi everyone, seems a lot of people are having problems with SteamVR being totally dead and not loading or working. Some people have uninstalled it and tried re-installing it just to find out SteamVR is not available to install from. For myself, it will NOT load and when I look at SteamVR in my library in Steam, it says "Pre-Load Complete" whatever that means. I've tried getting out of Steam and re-booting and back into Steam to see if that would work, nope, still deader than a doorknob. I hope Valve fix this really soon.

Regards: Jack

I popped on here to see if there were any issues too and it seems that I'm not the only one. I thought I was going crazy for a second as SteamVR is no longer available for me, and it initially said "purchase" in the corner before I uninstalled it.

This is totally bizarre and I really do hope it gets fixed ASAP.

Hi Varsh and NJJediZ.
I hear you on that one, I've tried totally shutting down everything (power plug out of computer), power off to everything Vive related, waited about 5 minutes, turned everything back on and still no joy. I hate being at the mercy of either Microsoft or Steam for that matter, when they screw up, everyone pays! I miss the days of offline gaming, you know the days, when stuff just worked.

I did send a trouble ticket into Steam's tech team, not heard back from them, more than likely they are getting smeared with upset Vive owners.

I feel your pain bro and I owe you one. Thanks to your post I knew it wasn''t my system, which I was about to troubleshoot the same way that you did. You saved me from all of that grief.

WOW - SteamVR just loaded as I was typing this. Too funny

LOL, they must have had a serious glitch. I haven't tried my computer in the basement (VR computer) but just for the heck of it, I did manage to download and install SteamVR on my upstair's computer (non VR and running Windows 7, you know, the decent OS lol).

I wonder how well SteamVR and VR stuff in general works on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, to be honest, I really really..... really don't like Windows 10 and all the crap involved with it.

I spent a week trying to install Vive on Win7. It had a ton of errors trying to install devices. Win10 worked the first try. I went a month or so running Win10 off one disk drive for VR and swapping to a Win7 drive for everything else. Got to be too much of a hassle and I finally bit the bullet and went all Win10. I am surviving. My ultimate Windows would have been XP + the System Restore and System Image backups from Win7. That's all I need.

Hi MartinMarty.

I have to agree with you about Win XP, but unfortunately, Microsoft likes forcing new and unwanted OS'es upon us. My view on Windows 10 is it being the ultimate biggest piece of spyware on the planet. Yes, there are ways of turning some of that off with tricks and tips but one shouldn't have to. I also turned of Windows updates since their updates seems to be more like new and improved bugs. I'm sorry, but if I had it my way, the courts of the world would say Microsoft has too much of a monopoly and the code that runs Windows software (utilities, games, etc) would be released to open source so various Linux distributions could run Windows based software.... I would never again look at the MicroSoft OS ever again.

Rant off! lol

Archived