Viveport FAQ: I'm receiving a message about a disk writing error. What should I do?

Mike

• 5 months later...

You should run a chkdsk/scandisk on the drive where your games are set to download.  Before doing so, since it could take a while, double check and make sure your download is really going where you think / want it to go.

You may also want to check Event Viewer System log for disk errors on same drive.

You need to determine if you are really having a disk writing error or if that is some other problem appearing like a disk writing error. If you really are having write errors hopefully scandisk with /fix option can be used to correct. If not, get out credit card.

• 8 months later...

I have a similar issue, I change the default drive to the HDD from the SSD and it still installs on the SSD? It defaults back to the SSD (which is C Drive). as space is limited here I don't want it installing files there. 

How is this fixed?

Im getting the same error and it is most definately not a disk space or checkdisk error as the other 4 Viveport games install without a hitch it is just 1 that wont and this is all in the same session. You say run checkdisk and im hoping thats not because some of your "trusted" apps are causing disk errors with users because that is not cricket.

Its SVRVIVE: The Deus Helix, I have tried changing the disk, checking the disk, defragmenting (or "optimizing" as it now seems to be called) and still the same. Cant figure out how to drop it as one of my monthly sub games to try a different one.

You know, one thing I didn't think of last time this topic came up. Please forgive that I am not spot-on with the details but hopefully you'll get the idea and fill in the details with the correct values:

Depending on how the disk is formatted... I think a FAT32 volume has a 4GB file size limitation, so if you have a single file >4GB you end up getting all kinds of misleading errors, i.e. "cannot write". Yes, you cannot write, but not for the reasons we normally think of. 

Any chance your drive is FAT32? ANy chance there are some big files?

Archived