[Unity/XR Interaction Toolkit] Controller position and rotation freezed when leaving sleep mode after updating to Wave XR 5.6.0

Romain

Hello, I recently updated the Wave XR Plugin to version 5.6.0 (I was previously on version 5.2.1). Since I did the update when my app opens after leaving sleep mode the controllers position and rotation is not updated anymore as you can see in attached video. If I turn on and off the controllers repetitively they eventually work back correctly but it takes a lot of attempts. I checked the logs but I don't see any specific error logs when the issue happens.

I'm pretty sure the issue is related to the XR Interaction toolkit and the use of Action Based XR Controllers because I did the Wave XR Plugin update on several projects that are not using XR Interaction toolkit and everything work fine on them.

I initially though this was related to the error below that I had in the editor, but I fixed the error by uninstalling the OpenXR package that was creating the confusion between UnityEngine.InputSystem.XR.PoseControl and UnityEngine.XR.OpenXR.Input.PoseControl and I still got the issue.

ArgumentException: Expected control 'pose' to be of type 'PoseControl' but is of type 'PoseControl' instead!
Parameter name: path
UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputControl.GetChildControl[TControl] (System.String path) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.3/InputSystem/Controls/InputControl.cs:667)
Wave.XR.ViveWaveWristTracker.FinishSetup () (at Library/PackageCache/com.htc.upm.wave.xrsdk@5.6.0-r.10/Runtime/ViveWaveWristTracker.cs:125)
UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputControl.CallFinishSetupRecursive () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.3/InputSystem/Controls/InputControl.cs:937)
UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceBuilder.Setup (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString layout, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString variants, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceDescription deviceDescription) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.3/InputSystem/Devices/InputDeviceBuilder.cs:60)
UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputDevice.Build[TDevice] (System.String layoutName, System.String layoutVariants, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceDescription deviceDescription, System.Boolean noPrecompiledLayouts) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.3/InputSystem/Devices/InputDevice.cs:898)
UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputManager.RecreateDevice (UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputDevice oldDevice, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString newLayout) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.3/InputSystem/InputManager.cs:663)
UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputManager.RecreateDevicesUsingLayout (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString layout, System.Boolean isKnownToBeDeviceLayout) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.3/InputSystem/InputManager.cs:555)
UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputManager.PerformLayoutPostRegistration (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString layoutName, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InlinedArray`1[TValue] baseLayouts, System.Boolean isReplacement, System.Boolean isKnownToBeDeviceLayout, System.Boolean isOverride) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.3/InputSystem/InputManager.cs:473)
UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputManager.RegisterControlLayout (System.String name, System.Type type) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.3/InputSystem/InputManager.cs:321)
UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputSystem.RegisterLayout (System.Type type, System.String name, System.Nullable`1[T] matches) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.3/InputSystem/InputSystem.cs:239)
UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputSystem.RegisterLayout[T] (System.String name, System.Nullable`1[T] matches) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.3/InputSystem/InputSystem.cs:260)
UnityEngine.XR.OpenXR.Input.OpenXRInput.RegisterLayouts () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.xr.openxr@1.5.3/Runtime/input/OpenXRInput.cs:141)
UnityEngine.XR.OpenXR.Input.OpenXRInput.<RegisterFeatureLayouts>g__OnFirstFrame|7_0 () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.xr.openxr@1.5.3/Runtime/input/OpenX

Do anyone already had this issue and found a way to fix this ?

Here are the unity and package version i'm using:

- Unity: 2021.3.13f1
- Wave XR Plugin: 5.6.0-r.10
- XR Interaction Toolkit: 2.0.4
- XR plugin management: 4.2.1

Thanks,

Hi @Romain,

Regarding the "PoseControl" error is caused by OpenXR 1.6.0 or newer version. Please make sure you uninstall the OpenXR package cleanly.
After uninstalled, please go to the menu Edit > Preferences and click "Regenerate project files".
If there is still compiled error, use the code below:

#if USE_INPUT_SYSTEM_POSE_CONTROL // Scripting Define Symbol added by using OpenXR Plugin 1.6.0.
using PoseControl = UnityEngine.InputSystem.XR.PoseControl;
#else
using PoseControl = UnityEngine.XR.OpenXR.Input.PoseControl;
#endif

About the controller pose issue after suspend/resume, this is known issue of Unity Input System.

So far, we don't have any solution, you need to reboot your controller to recover.

Hi @VIVE_chengnay,

Thank you for the answer.

For the controller pose issue, should the controller recover after one reboot ? Because on my end I have to turn on/off the controller several times, sometimes 7-8 times. So if there is anything I could do to make sure the controller always recover after the first reboot that would be nice.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...