Looking For Low Level Solution For Setting Vive Tracker To 0xB3

Shaull

Is it possible to set 0xB3 through tracked device config.json?

I am trying to set vive tracker to hmd device class so that it can be connected to any head mounted display by usb and be used for head tracking.   For now this is all that i want too achieve. i.e. use Vive tracker as head tracker as it is foundation of the projects that i would like to do with vive tracker.

A Valve developer recently indicated that it is more than possible to use vive tracker for hmd if display and optic configuration data for hmd is added to the current tracked device config along with a bit of other tweaking of its config.json. 

The SteamVR Tracking HDK documentation explains in great detail how config files are made for steamvr tarcked devices. SteamVR runtime has native tools for downloading and uploading tracked device config json.

Is it possible to set Vive Tracker to 0xB3 so that tracking data is sent through usb at a lower level than using DE tools ?

http://www.talariavr.com/blog/vive-tracker-initial-documentation/

https://medium.com/@mattwiechec/sending-feature-reports-to-the-vive-tracker-over-usb-e25b39ac10c5

and the official developer documentation go some way to explain what is involved but i would like to see a more firmware related solution provided for setting vive tracker to 0xB3 as well as hmd device class.

How to set 0xB3 by editing vive tracker config.json?

• 1 month later...

I found after making sure there are no watchman dongles available for vive tracker to use and then connecting vive tracker with USB before staring up steamvr with requireHmd to false then allows triad_openvr prove tracking data is being sent over USB, at least at api level (openvr)

Steamvr starts with IPC connectection failure 306 which points too runtime issues like what is illustrated with the steamvr plugin for unity shows,  which is SteamVR needs a vive headset connected.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Shaull,

Can you describe why you can't simply use a camera on a tracker with no HMD (yes you can have tracking work without an HMD)) - or disable positional (and/or rotational) tracking on the HMD object and place the tracker on the HMD object?

-Dario

Hey Dario,

The title of this discussion should be more like, "How To Set Vive Tracker As HMD Class In OpenVR?"

My intentions are to use Vive Tracker to add steamvr tracking to non steamvr tracked hmds by making changes to vive tracker openvr driver.  Masterofshapes shared info that they had added steamvr tracking to daydream hmds using Vive Tracker.  OSVR devs shared info on how to use Vive Tracker to add SteamVR Tracking to OSVR HDK hmds but their methodology uses the osvr runtime which means this is only good for osvr apps and no use to use for using SteamVR apps. 

Valve developer describes how it should be possible to make Vive Tracker work for be used as hmd head tracker by editing and make changes to its device json and other config files by hinting at the info needed to do this is contained in the SteamVR Tracking HDK documentation.  All that is needed is to set vive tracker as hmd through firmware changes and add optical and display parameters to vive tracker device json.

Hope this makes what i am trying to do more clear.

I'll look into your suggestions and will update with any solutions.

Archived