Vive controllers power on differently every flippin time!

ben_sfg

My God.... every time I boot up SteamVR it's a new game of what buttons to press, for how long... do I plug into USB now or later or not at all.... 

Sometimes the controllers are on but then turn off when I start steamVR, sometimes they turn blue and I have to long press to turn off then on again. Most of the time I have to connect them to USB to get them working. Once in awhile they turn off when SteamVR shuts down but most of the time I need to turn them off manually  (which starts up SteamVR again) or I have to plug them in to stop the batteries from dying.  Sometimes they turn on when connected to USB, somethines they are off after disconnecting USB, sometimes they are blue after connecting USB. It's NEVER THE SAME.... WTF is going on???  I can always get them working after a few steps but boy wouldn't it be nice if they turned on and just worked..... well, that happens 1 in 50 maybe. 

Hi Ben, try this on both of your controllers and see if it helps. That's definitely not normal behavior.

Reset the controller

If the controller is not behaving as expected, it’s having pairing issues or it’s having tracking issues, resetting it will update the status of the controller and will allow it to be set up again.

1. Power off the controller.
  2. While holding [Grip] + [Touchpad] + [Menu buttons], plug the controller to the PC via USB.
  3. Continue holding until the PC recognizes the controller as a USB drive (a sound will be made on the computer).
  4. Release the buttons and then unplug the controller.

Thanks!

-John C

Now it doesn't work at all and it's either off or on with blue light. SteamVR does not detect it

I paired it again using steam VR and it paired but still appears to be doing the same thing. I turn it on and after a very short blue light, it turns green then after 5 seconds it shuts off. If I plug it into USB in those 5 seconds THEN the SteamVR window will turn the controller green and it will work. 

I just shut down SteamVR and the remote stayed on solid green... last time I did that it shut off. I start up SteamVR again and it shuts the controller OFF. Turn the controller back on and 5 seconds later it's off again. 

I updated the firmware and got it to work correctly one time after that.  Interestingly I can boot up SteamVR by turning on a controller. SteamVR runs and the controller shuts off. Obviously the controller is paird and working if it turns on SteamVR. I still have to plug in both controllers to the PC USB port virtually every flippin time! 

I did some digging regarding the 5 second time out and discovered it's a problem with USB ports. I have built in USB and a add-on USB 3.0 card and both do the same.  I ordered the: Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector, Mini PCI-E USB 3.0 Hub Controller Adapter

Looks like that should solve the issue I have been living with for a year.

, these issues are indeed often caused by USB incompatibilities but we try not to recommend user's buy a USB card immediately as it doesn't always solve the problem and telling users to buy additional hardware has historically been very frustrating to users who have already invested heavily into their Vive setup. We first try to eliminate other causes. The Inateck is the card we recommend, let us know how it works out for you. 

Hi Ben.
Have you tried resetting the USB ports using SteamVR. Fire up SteamVR, go to options then Developer, scroll down and you'll see a section for USB, make sure power management is disabled and you can also reset the USB drivers from there. This often fixes Vive problems. My Guess is some windows and other software updates messes with USB drivers. Resetting them in SteamVR has fixed a few of my problems in the past.
Regards: Jack

I already got a new USB 3.0 card from inatech. Just came in today so have not tried it yet but I'm pretty sure my USB ports are the issue becuase this isn't something new. Vive controllers always did this for me but I also had trouble with a USB 3.0 external drive bay and that worked on another PC without issue. 

YES! The new USB 3.0 card worked.  Controllers work without plugging them in to USB and shut off when SteamVR closes! 

That means both my internal USB and my old USB 3.0 card were not compatible. Just for reference the old card that did not work was ORICO PCI-E PME-2U CARD

Archived