Headset will not reboot after momentary tracking loss

sloppo

I've been using the Vive for over a year now without much issue. 

Recently I'm getting problems where lets say I interrupt the tracking by standing infront of the headset for a small moment, and it loses tracking - the whole thing messes up. 

It 'reconnects' - everything shows green again in steam VR (all devices green) but when i go back in the game, it operates at like.....1fps. 

If I quit the game and try again, same result, its like the headset is stuck in this state. 

So then i quit the game again, try rebooting the device, and it then completely disconnects and i cannot reboot the device because it detects Nothing - no headset, or base stations. 

If i close and reopen Steam VR i get error 108. 

The only thing that fixes it is restarting the computer, and suddenly everything is fine again. 

Its getting annoying having to restart just to fix this, so what is going on please?

my system:

i7 5870k, 970gtx, windows 10, 16gb ddr4, iv'e tried both with the non-beta steam VR also but same result, makes no difference

That is indeed an unusual issue. So as far as we know, the only solution is to reboot the computer? Are you by chance a part of the Windows Insider Program? (Receiving beta updates for windows ahead of the normal schedule.)

Also, is there anything about your configuration which is not standard? (USB Hubs, etc.)

Thanks,

-John C

Yes the only solution is a PC reboot and then everything is back to normal. 

No, not part of any insider program. 

Nothing unusual about the config, the vive USB is plugged directly into the mobo in an array of USB ports on its own. 

I tried to replicate the issue last night and make a video - if i'm directly in the game and then mask the headset away from the bases to stop the tracking, it stops, when i unmask the headset again, it re-tracks back and the game is also fine. So unfortunately i couldn't replicate the problem. 

Next time it happens I'll make a note of exactly what happened and video it, i will come back to this thread when it happens again. 

I wonder when your Vive acted strangely, if it wasn't some background task that took up a lot of system resourses, something like a Windows update, virus checker update or other. Some of these update programs don't seem to care if your using your computer, they do their thing no matter what. This is why I miss the days of downloading updates and manually installing them, that way, I knew what was happening with my computer. Now it's kind of "Okay, what's it doing now?" when your not doing anything and your Hard Drive LED light is on solid for long periods of time, then it's "uh oh, what just got screwed up this time?" lol :P

Regards: Jack

motherboard: MSI x99 gaming 7.     Usb 3.0

The other issue i forgot to add is - it seems to do the same behaviour if i have a youtube video paused in chrome - or some kind of Video output running in chrome - in fact thats probably what happened before - i'll try and replicate the problem with chrome running.

The chrome program's bar at the top turns a different colour and 'hangs' (like any tabs that are open just sort of freeze, even though chrome is fully operational) - and it does that at the point when the headset loses tracking altogether and then can't be reconnected, prompting me to reboot the PC. 
Now - it never used to do this when I had a gigabyte X99P SLI - I used to be able to run a chrome window playing twitch watching someone streaming, whilst running a game in VR, with no issue. 

If i try and do that now the headset tracking will randomly glitch out, and i get the problem described originally. 

i'll try to replicate again and come back here with an update. 

This almost sounds like a motherboard BIOS setting may be not set right since everything worked well on a previous board and not the new one. Might be worth a peek and see if you can find something not set right in there. Also, try using USB-2 instead of USB-3 for the Vive, it often cures a lot of problems. :)

Regards: Jack

Archived