Vive Streaming - Wireless

Beta_Tester

Received my Focus Vision headset and I'm finding it has terrible streaming performance over Wi-Fi. I've noticed that the headset doesn't yet appear to support Wi-fi 6 networks.

I've lowered the throughout to 20 Mbps and it still struggles. When using my XR Elite on the same network it works fine.

I've also been experiencing this issue, my setup has 0 issue streaming to my old quest 2 but with the Focus Vision it's unusable at it's worse and mildly serviceable at best. Thankfully I can fall back to the wired streaming kit until this gets sorted out.

I should be getting my preordered VFV with DP adapter later today so right now I'm going through everything I can read about this.  Looks like one person also got poor wireless performance with his new VFV.  He then tried connecting with usb3 cable (not DP) and that worked perfectly.  Afterwards found that wireless wifi streaming then started to work fine as well.  Not sure why that is the case but you may want to try this.

That post was me.

Wifi performance with the Vive Vision is all over the place, but mostly really bad. Using a USB cable (non-DP) did indeed seem to result in a perfect experience.

I can connect to Wifi 6E, but, 80% of the time the network doesn't show and cannot be connected to. This is a TP-Link AXE75 in direct line of sight around 1.5 mtrs away. I wonder if poor performance is down to the headset losing the network during use? It certainly dropped out of streaming regularly.

I haven't reported it here (yet) because I received the DP kit yesterday and was testing that.

The positives of the DP kit are that the picture is crystal clear and really smooth. You don't realise how much GPU power is sucked up when doing the alternative video streaming until you try DP. It was so good that I could read the smallest text on Microsoft's Flight Sims GP1000 nav system. Never been able to do that. The system was running on Ultra with max bandwidth. To see this level of detail and have it perform ultra-smoothly takes this headset up to a whole new level. As a bonus the battery was still at 100% after the flight! (No more halting flights to switch batteries!)

The downsides with DP are that its not entirely stable. I had 3 drop outs over a 2 hour flight. In each case, I had to pause the simulator pull out the wire, put it back in and restart streaming. I found I couldn't restart streaming without pulling the wire as the headset thinks you want to do wireless streaming.

My DP system is connected to the DP of an nVidia 4090 and the USB plug is connected to a USB 3.2 socket.

It would be really cool if the streaming service in the headset could detect DP and provide the user with an option to use it. Otherwise I fear for the longevity of the headset plug socket.

The other reason I hadn't reported the Wifi issue yet is that I also received an update to VHub and the streaming software yesterday and haven't been able to exercise the new version with the headset on wireless. I will try it tonight though and try and figure out what's going on.

RobP

Edited by RobP
  • Like 1

Also experiencing terrible performance over WiFi 6E, with a router that's about 3 feet away, and PC is 2.5GB wired.  Oddly enough, VIVE Hub says network has poor performance, but the headset says excellent signal strength.

Edited by fIreChuckEr