What is a good laptop for VIVE?

dredle1

Hello all!

I am new to this so I apologize for my ignorance.  My son has been wanting an HTC VIVE for awhile now, so guess what Santa is bringing for Christmas this year.  He will need a new laptop for this as well which is where the abundance of information out there is causing my brain to shut down.  While at the Mall of America, the microsoft store had a VIVE setup and my son got to try it out.  I asked the store associate what laptop I should get, and he replied, "Alienware."  Personally, I do not have a preference in which laptop, just one that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.  So I guess I also need advice on what specs are the most important.  Nividia 1060, 1070 or 1080?  I know I would like a 17" screen, so QHD or UHD?  I also want a PCIe ssd with a SATA as well, but how much storage is enough?  My budget is anywhere from $2000 - $3200, because I want this laptop to last for awhile, at minimum 5 years.  I do not want to have to replace it after 2 years, so I'm willing to spend a little more upfront, if it's worth it.  So, if anyone would be so kind as to help me narrow my choices down and give me some solid info in what to look for, I would really appreciate it!  Thanks in advance!

Hi! Thanks for posting here with your question. In short, I'd refer you to our Vive Ready page which lists system requirements as well as links to Vive Ready PCs and Laptops (including Alienware!)
https://www.vive.com/us/ready/

If you're still curious after pouring over that or if you have more questions, we'd be happy to answer them.

Thank you!

-John C

Well, yes, I have many questions.  Of the 3 types recommended on this site - Alienware, HP  Omen, and MSI, which is most preferred by users?  Should I go with Nvidia 1070 or upgrade to 1080.  How much storage is enough and how much of that should be in a PCIe?  Should I spend extra on a 4k screen?  I don't want to get a laptop that is overkill or one that will work so hard that it feels like it will melt while using.

There's a few questions you've asked, so I'll try to unpack and answer each one by one.
1. Every user has their own preferences, so I can't make a statement about one being preferred, but all are good. 

2. The 1080 is going to be superior to the 1070 in every respect, so if you can afford it, I'd personally go for the more powerful card.

3. When you talk about storage, do you mean Hard Drive space?

4. A 4k screen is entirely up to you; it will have no bearing on your VR experience at all.

Thanks,

-John C

Thank you for your response.  In regards to storage, I was looking at a SATA + PCIe drive.  As I understand, are the games streamed?  So does this mean they don't actually get stored on the laptop's hard drive?  If that is so (and maybe you can educate me) would 1 TB SATA + 256 PCIe drive be sufficient?  Maybe even tell me some things that I would really want to have and some things that are not as important.  Like, for example, it sounds like it would be better to go with Nvidia's 1080 graphics card rather than the 1070, stuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...

The games are stored locally on your harddrive like any other PC game. There is no steaming option at this time.

Do not skimp on the RAM (16GB minimum) and if you can get a faster hard drive or just go with a solid state drive, that will help you.

Thank you,

-John C

With a budget like that, should be no problem finding a laptop with a 6th generation “Skylake” i7-6700k Processor (3.2-4.0Ghz) This should save at least $200 on a similar, newer processor thay does the same thing. For the GPU, youll need somewhere around a Radeon RX 580 4-8GB or (for non AMD/Radeon lovers) GTX 1060. Only, the RX580 is half the price. Im not sure what that translates too for laptops though, as those GPUs are for desktops. Besides that.. make sure youve got at least a Z170 MOBO Mobo laptop equivalent & Win 10. (Lets you demo Direct X 12) Win 7 is only Direct X 11. Make sure your RAM is DDR4, with at least 8GB, preferably 16. You will also need an HDMI port and a few USB 2.0-3.0 ports for whatever may come up. 4K Blu-Ray DVD/CD burner/player. Lastly, Your PSU should be a minimum of 550-600W.

Lets Recap.

1.) Laptop equivalent of Z170 platform

2.) 6th Generation “Skylake” i7-6700k

3.) Radeon RX580 or GTX 1060 equivalent.

4.) Windows 10

5.) HDMI port & plenty of USB 2.0-3.0

6.) 550W min, 600W preferable PSU

7.) Minimum 8 GB DDR4 RAM (16GB recommended)

8.) 4K Blu-Ray DVD Burner/player

Dont buy “Alien” or any computer that has a catchy name to it.. like the “Black Pearl” I saw on PC Gamers “PC of the month” Seriously, go in amd talk to the salesmen armed with the knowledge posted and you will completly disarm their sales tactics. You have everything you could want or need right here. Use it to get the same “Alienware” comparible laptop, to a laptop with the same capabilities, if not MORE, less pre-installed garbage, and other misleading “insider alienware info”. If I missed anything, please chime in.

Also, shop at any number of websites and build your custom pc to order.. or go to a decent sized computer repair shop, to find the perfcet laptop, half the price, under warranty. Hope this helps.

• 9 months later...

Archived