ViveSR_Experience demo causes camera stream to freeze after enabling depth

larry_dotdotdash

Hi all.

I'm trying to work with the "experience" demo, but the camera stream is consistently freezing on me when I enable the depth feature. When I enable depth, it starts to run, but then freezes, along with the camera feed. In some instances, I've had the entire thing lock up. In others, only the camera feed is freezing, while the virtual controller assets continue updating. Then, when I stop the Unity scene, the Unity Editor freezes up as well. Once, while in this frozen state, I tried running the camera tests via SteamVR and they all passed, and the test window properly showed the camera stream updating.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro with an Nvidia GTX-1080 that's updated to the latest drivers. I see a note in the documentation that the Windows 10 + 1080 combo can cause some issues. Not sure if that's what I'm running into here. I'm running Unity 5.6.3p2. Not sure if I need to upgrade to Unity 2017 for any reason here.

I don't see any errors popping up in the editor. Not sure if there's another logging source I should check.

I'm able to run the calibration operations in the demo fine. The SRWorksMMD demo is also performing fine. The camera stream is solid until I enable depth.

Any thoughts? Thanks! Really looking forward to checking out the depth and mesh creation features here.

wrote:

Hi all.

I'm trying to work with the "experience" demo, but the camera stream is consistently freezing on me when I enable the depth feature. When I enable depth, it starts to run, but then freezes, along with the camera feed. In some instances, I've had the entire thing lock up. In others, only the camera feed is freezing, while the virtual controller assets continue updating. Then, when I stop the Unity scene, the Unity Editor freezes up as well. Once, while in this frozen state, I tried running the camera tests via SteamVR and they all passed, and the test window properly showed the camera stream updating.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro with an Nvidia GTX-1080 that's updated to the latest drivers. I see a note in the documentation that the Windows 10 + 1080 combo can cause some issues. Not sure if that's what I'm running into here. I'm running Unity 5.6.3p2. Not sure if I need to upgrade to Unity 2017 for any reason here.

I don't see any errors popping up in the editor. Not sure if there's another logging source I should check.

I'm able to run the calibration operations in the demo fine. The SRWorksMMD demo is also performing fine. The camera stream is solid until I enable depth.

Any thoughts? Thanks! Really looking forward to checking out the depth and mesh creation features here.

Yes this is a known issue with enabling depth on Windows 10 + NVIDIA  Pascal GPUs, including 1080. Our engineering team expects to have an update on Nov. 30 that should address it. 

wrote:

Ah, ok. Thanks for letting me know.

Do you have a list of OS/GPU combos that are known to function well at this time?

Thanks!

Related to the issue with enabling depth, we are continuing to test additional configurations. Here is the initial test matrix from our engineering team:

OS

OS ver

GPU

GPU ver

Result

Win 10

NVIDIA GTX1080

Fail

Win 10

NVIDIA GTX1070

Fail

Win 10