Using Vive when disabled

danshowbizz

Hi, 

I'm disabled. I can stand and walk a bit, sometimes, but not always. I can't jump, slide or pretend-throw things for hours. I read somewhere about someone hitting a wall while throwing themselves at a tennis ball... you won't see me do that! ;)
But I saw a Vive official video of an archery game... I used to love to do archery...

Still, I loved the VR experience I had (a few minutes) and my boyfriend would love to play it too. 
We don't have much space (I'd say 3ftx8ft) so I'm guessing the Vive is out of the question? 
Or can you use Vive sitting? Can you use Oculus Rift sitting? Any VR?

Thanks!

The minimum roomscale play space is 6 ft 6 in x 5 ft. However, for standing or seated experiences, there is no limitation. For those particular experiences, you can simply stay in one place. Usually, when looking through the catalog for VR titles, they will state in the description whether the experience is intended to be roomscale, standing/sitting or both.

I hope that answers your question!

Thank you,

-John C

hey 
The Vive is great for room scale if you have the space but likewise if you are limited you dont need to worry it can be played in a smaller area. 
You will find some games are brilliant played seated and some even take in to account for people in Chairs. 
If you do buy into VR 
Some game that you might like. 
The Lab (has the archery game)
Keep Defending a better Archery game imo
Google Earth. Visit anywhere in the world. 
Rec room just for the social interaction its so much fun. 
Lockdown: standalone  This has a wheelchair setting in the game. 
Mindshow make your own little VR cartoons
Tilt brush show off your artisic skills. 

What ever you consider buying you wont be dissapointed 

My brother is disabled he can't walk at all, some games are fine as you can play stood still on sat down sadly though some will be out of your reach.

Another guy I met online in a VR game had cerebral palsy.  We were playing star trek bridge crew, even though this is a sit down game he was having trouble holding the controllers and using the in game consoles, again its a difficult one and only being able to try it first will determine if it is for you.

I am finding a lot of shopping centres/malls have VR setups, maybe worth hunting one to test it out.

This is super helpful http://www.walkinvrdriver.com but it geared towards specific types of disabilities. Generally speaking, VR and game developers are pretty new at using the entire body as an input device. It will take time for ergonomics and accessibility to become more standardized. Some motions can be faked. For instance, overhand throws in VR tend to hurt my elbow so I only throw underhand and most apps can't tell the difference (and I can get more force out of underhand). 

While a tremendous amount of VR is gaming, there are a ton of non-gaming applications that are worth exploring and many of the games (especially seated games) have trackpad input. 

Archived