Base Station Position

war23lock

Hello,

i am setting up my HTC Vive and my question is that if i am using CABEL for base station do they really need to be in oposit corner? 

I am feeling sensoring isnt best in last weeks. Its like when i put controllers together on contact it shows they are still 1cm from each other and when i am turning on other site they are like 1cm in each other.

Thx for answer 

sorry for bad english.... 

They don't need to be in opposite corners per say when using the sync cable but the software is optimized to solve poses with this orientation and having them diametrically opposed corners ensures that you're likely to have full 360 degree coverage. If I am understanding you correctly, when you put the top of the controllers together they have ~1 cm gap. My understanding is that that is a byproduct of SteamVR's compositor and that their position is correct within the backend but they are rendered to the user as offset to prevent the meshes from colliding. I've seen this gap in every single Vive setup I've ever used when pressing the controllers together. What should concern you is if your hands are more than a cm from where they should be during normal usage. 

You can use this user generated tool to optimize your base station setup and ensure complete coverage. It shows up as a base station skin (called pew pew).    

• 3 months later...

, It's safe to slant them down and they're actually supposed to slant downward by design but can also be used vertically. Inside the basestation there are "blaster" LEDs which "sync" the timing of the entire system with intense flashes of IR light. The basestations can sync with each other optically, which will require them to be mounted above the playspay (and possibly facing downward depending on your room) or via the sync cable (with the basestations set to channels A + B). . It's safe to mount them at different heights, but it's typically recommended that you mount them above the player's primary head position, especially when using optical sync so that the faces of the basestations maintain line of sight of each other. You'll have to experiment to find positions that work best for your needs. Using the sync cable will open up a far wider range of mounting options. 

I too have a corner desk and the way I position my Lighthouses was to ceiling mount one in front of me in the corner. It is at a ~60 degree tilt down. The other is on the wall behind me just above head level facing almost straight. The Lighthouses are used as a frame of reference for the sensors on the HMD. As long as their IR has LOS of the HMD their position does not matter.

Having them 180 from each other is optimal but you can have them off to the side or even just use one and it will still work. The limitation is where you can look around with the HMD. The front and edges of the HMD must have LOS to a Lighthouse to track. Once you look a direction not covered by a Lighthouse the screen with go grey until you have LOS again.

Archived