Non-stationary object stutter

Jman2150

I'm having an issue where any non-stationary objects (people, weapons, items) will shake a stutter significantly when I move my head. This includes the vive controller overlays. The controllers track fine outside of games, but in game the stuttering is significant. The issue seems worse when I'm moving side to side then when moving up and down or forward and backward, but it is present during all movement. The background and any objects that do not move render fine (i.e. no stuttering). I've checked the performance parameters I could think of. Neither the CPU, RAM, nor GPU appear to be challenged during the time the issues are occuring (specs below). Has anyone else had issues like this?

Processor - i5-4690K

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

RAM - 8GB 

John C

This is not something I have noticed before, but I have not been using my Vive recently. I pulled it out a couple days ago to try out FO4VR and that's when I noticed the issue. At first I thought I was related specifically to FO4VR, but then I checked some other games and it's present in everything. At the moment, the only application that does not show the stutter is the steam menu. I attempted to get a screenshot of the stutter occuring, but the mirror display does not show any stutter, it only appears in the headset.

Looking at the pictures below, the first picture of the SteamVR home, has significant stutter. The second image in the steam menu has zero stutter.

David R,

I posted a couple pictures in reply to John C's comment and these include a view of the performance tab in the SteamVR settings. 

I have an MSI Z97S SLI Plus motherboard.

The strange thing is that the stutter occurs in almost every application except the steam menu (see my other comment)

My best guess is that this could be related to the Nvidia drivers. They're know to occasionally have stuttering issues as you described and there doesn't seem to be a universal way of fixing this issues. If you do a Google search for this, you'll find many threads where people describe similar stuttering and many of them only have the problem fixed when they upgrade/downgrade their drivers to a package that isn't effected by this bug. I'd maybe start off with rolling back your driver to one from earlier in the year; this problem is more common with newer drivers. Other things to try: switching between a USB 2.0 port and a 3.0 port to see if there is a difference, disable the camera within SteamVR, enable any "high performance" or gaming mode bundled with your PC, and changing the priority of the VR application as well as the SteamVR compositor to "high priority" in the task manager. 

John/David,

I rolled back my NVIDIA drives to 385.28 from August of this year. I know the system was working at that time. I also set the VR applications to high priority in the task manager, tried switching from a USB 3.0 to a 2.0 and back again, checked that the camaera was disabled (it was), and enabled performance gaming mode. Unfortunately, the problem has persisted. I appreciate the ideas so far. Is there anything else you can think to try?

Archived