Vive Tracker WASD mapping?

truegamer25

Hey there,

I am sure this topic has been talked about before, but I just can't seem to find anything on it, so - new post. After a rather disappointing correspondence with both Virtuix and Katvr, it seems a home omni treadmill just isn't going to be available yet; they're all aiming for commercial instead, so it leaves me and probably the rare few other home users without any sort of gaming walking option. SO - I'm hoping to build my own; the physical building of the base shouldn't be too tough for me, the challenge is finding a way to get walking to actually interface with my machine.

Seeing Vive Trackers and the trackstrap option, my thought was to get those, but before I do I was hoping someone already has developed a way to map certain movement patterns to a WASD format? I'm not a developer and haven't got the foggiest idea how to start this, I'm hoping to catch someone's attention that might be interested in working with me...that is, if it hasn't already been done and I'm just not seeing it?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really hoping this post gains some traction soon because I'm in the same boat. I know a bit of programming but the only way I could really know if I'm capable of something like this would be if I bought the trackers and experimented but I don't want to invest that much on something I may not be able to use. I've seen videos of people using them for this but I haven't seen any 'how-to' videos

Thus far no universal mechanism to take data from trackers (or other sources of IK data) and convert them into other data streams. In this case, this is would be a gesture that's translated into trackpad data. While many users have already solved the problem; their solutions have not been standardized into something that would allow one rig to work across multiple bits of software. I think once the tracker is publicly available, we'll see an explosion of solutions and that one or two will gain momentum and possibly see mainstream adaptation with developers or as somekind of haptic overlay by the community. You can approach this on both a low level way and also at a high level way by focusing on IK; the latter can be done without coding. 

Archived