Front Camera and Microphone not working

Trankonia

I have attempted  what suggestions I have found online for enabling the Vive front Camera and have yet to get this operational.  I have tried each usb port (this is a new system with 6 USB 3 and 4 USB 2) and have done the resets as well. I have had it turn on once but the image was erratic and not stable.

When I set up the Mic it seems to work for a few minutes an then stops.

Any sggestions on troubleshooting, logs, diagnostics etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure why I could not edit my original post. I wanted to update the results of my research into the Mic and the Camera. I have determined that the issue is related to my cable configuration. I have my system set up in my music studio and the playspace is about 25 feet away. I researched how to extent the VIVE and went with what was proported to be a working solution. 

I added an 25Ft Active HDMI cable Monoprice 25 ft Luxe Series CL3 Active High Speed Premium HDMI Cable

Then I added this for USB: IOGEAR USB 2.0 4-Port 164' USB Extender Over Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6 Ethernet Cable, GUCE64 to convert the USB signal to ethernet and back again since USB does not have the cable length support for my required distance. I then added this Ethernet Cable: Cable Matters Cat6 Snagless Ethernet Patch Cable in White 25 Feet

Essentially, by removing the cable extensions everything works. However,  the issue really comes down to the USB extensions because both the Camera and Microphone are USB based connections.  So while this is certainly not an issue with the Vive or configuration parameters, I still need to get this sorted out.

Has anyone else been able to sucessfully use this exact configuration or have done the USB connections with different components that work for this length of extensions? I have this month to return the USB converters so I need to determine a solution pretty soon.

Thanks again in advance and Happy New Year!

Hi ,

Extended setups are very difficult to troubleshoot as there is an endless variety of adapters, cables, and extenders. Vive staff can only lend guidance towards the official setup. Reddit has a running list of cables that you may find helpful. The issue could also be related to both latency as well as bandwidth so it's going to be difficult to troubleshoot. 

Hello 

I appreciate your response and understand that HTC cannot test all variations for extending the range of the Vive. I was looking to the community at large to see if anyone has been successful with a similar configuration. I have validated that the iogear conversion to/from USB/Ethernet is working as I can place a USB thumb drive on the remote box and be able to read it.

Since the Vive uses USB 2.0 then the bandwidth is limited anyway so that seems to be a possibility. However, I acquired the listed equipment base on the Reddit List of Cables but obviously there is something else going on. Even if I change the length of the Ethernet cable to 6 feet, instad of 25, going thru the iogear box seems yto not work with the Vive.

Are there any diagnostic programs or a way to determine the bandwidth usage on the USB cable?

Again, any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks,

Trankonia

Archived