2 Vives in the same instance of a game (Pilot and Copilot Flight on the same plane)

VR Pilot

I was wondering if it is possible to use 2 HMD´s running on the same game in a single computer in a way that there is only one instance of the game launching

I would like to be able to use the same fligth sim and have one Pilot and a Copilot next to each other using 2 Vive´s for flying the same plane.

It is a matter of putting a second Vive in the same virtual space of a game another vive is connected but I don´t know how to make it possible

You're not going to be able to run two Vives off the same machine simultaneously. Most computers simply couldn't handle the hardware requirements, but on top of that, the software was never intended for it. However, you could have two computers, two Vives and two instances of the game running and have you both in the same room using the same two base stations.

Thanks,

-John C

The problem is that flight Sim´s do not have an online multiplayer option so that both players are on the same plane, that´s why I need to run a same instance of the game, to play coop locally.

Is there a way to trick the software to think that there is only one Vive connected but actually both are conneted? Just that the second is kind of an spectator in the same virtual enviroment

It's not really an issue of "tricking" the software. It's not limited by design, it's limited by practicality. To even meet the requirements you'd need an extremely powerful (and pricy) machine with two high-end GPUs and a top end CPU as well a twice as much RAM as normal and all the ports required to accomedate two Vive set ups.

You might be able to run two instances of SteamVR on the same physical computer if you used Virtual Machines or some kind of sandbox environment software, but the practical upshot of that is that those instances would be on different "computers" as far as the software was concerned so you'd be in same situation as connecting remotely.

The next problem you run into is if the flight sim is even intended to support two HMDs. AFAIK, no game supports two HMDs locally.

Furthermore, you'd have to get around windows device detection. It's going to recognize the Vive components and prioritize one over the other when SteamVR boots and tries to find them. The outcomes are going to be one of two possibilities: 1) SteamVR detects the minimum required components (that is, One of the Vives and not the other) or 2) SteamVR detects an invalid set up and fails to ready, throwing an error message.

In all honesty, it would probably be easier to mod the game you wanted to play to have network multiplayer than try to make two Vives run locally simultaneously.

Hope that helps,

-John C

You are right, I don´t have any problems on buying multiple computers to power a Super "Virtual Machine", but the problem is that as you said the game does not support HMDs locally, and as you also said I wouldn´t be able to run SteamVR properly.

I will try to figure out how to mod the game, wish me luck ;)

Good luck! If it's just one specific game, you might also try to get in contact with the developers and see if they ever had plans for a multiplayer function. You might get lucky and find out they had most of the work done already but never finished it or plan a future update with that included!

Thanks,

-John C

Hi! You can do two man crew on DCS L-39 Albatros and the Gazelle. Req: 2 computers, 2 game accounts both with the aircraft module purchaced. Multicrew functionality is supposed to be coming to some other planes also.

Archived