Does Vive Pro have improved lenses,or are they the same as the Vive originals?

ignacj

Will the new Vive Pro have new improved lenses, or is HTC reusing the same model from old Vive?

I used both Vive and Rift HMD previously. While Vive feels so much more solid product, matches my very wide IPD range (thank you HTC), but lenses clarify lacks when compared to Rift. Straight-on the image is perfectly clear (better then Rift), but even the smallest move of my eyes to the side (reading a short sentence) severely affects clarity. This is much less pronounced in Rift HMD. Since both HMDs use same OLEDs, is this just matter of lenses? I tried everythign under the sun on VIVE and could not get it as comfortabel as Rift. Now don't get me wrong - I am not talking about looking into lens corners - this will be blurry on both headsets, but slight deflection of few degress - say reading the chat window in Elite Dangerous. I can do this comfortably with Rift without moving my head - on Vive, not so much. Most online posts suggest getting used to it, but this is not acceptable. VIVE PRO is on top of my BUY list and I am hoping that HTC will deliver improved leses, at leasyt something comparable to Rift.

Anyone who ows both headsets, can you comment on this?

Please no trolling, both HMDs are awesome. 

Thanks

ig

have not had the chance to get my hands on one but from what i am seeing in the previews of it, they are making it 2880x1600. They are saying it is 75% more screen due to the resolution and pixel tightness. honestly, if the pro is anything like the reviews have said, it should be pretty interesting for sure. looking forward to getting my hands on one. 

Thanks for the reply, but I was actually referring to optics, not OLEDs or the resolution behind those optics. I would like ot know if optics will be improved over the original Vive, hoping for something that will match current optics on Rift. Thanks

From the various sites I've been reading (trials at E3), sounds like the Vive Pro shown at E3 used the same optics as the regular Vive. I too have both the Vive and the Rift and I also agree, I like the Rift optics better, the Vive has too much of a small sweet spot in the middle. I'm not bashing the Vive or the Rift, both HMD's have their pros and cons when comparing the two.

If the Vive Pro uses the same optics as the regular Vive, then I would have to say that is reason enough for me to not want one. What's the point of all that extra resolution if the optics make it out of focus for much of the FOV.

Regards: Jack

• 1 month later...

Exactly! I bought the original Vive because it is really good on the specs, and I believe its tracking system is way more concrete than Oculus's solution. But I eventually returned it and got an Oculus CV1 because I just can't stand the lenses. If the Vive Pro upgrades its lenses close to what Oculus CV1 has or better, I'll definitely buy one, otherwise I'll pass.

From talking to other people, they say the Vive Pro will have new optics and are not the same as the regular Vive. HTC is keeping pretty tight lipped about this so time will tell. I do hope they have new and improved lenses. Still wondering as to when the Vive Pro headset (just the HMD) will be available to those existing Vive owners, wasn't it supposed to be in the 1st quarter of this year?

Regards: Jack

It's remarkable that all these industry experts that had a chance to put on and review Vive Pro mention nothing about new lens design. Even if playing with a prototype, one should be able to tell right away if new lenses offer more clarity compared to the old model and competitors. Lens clarity and "the sweet spot" is the one thing that sets Vive behind Rift. In other hand it only makes sense that if a company goes through trouble of rolling out an updated product with higher-end screens and electronics, optics will not be left behind.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived