VR game zone as business

YuriyZ

Hello.

I'm going to start a project with VR games for 4-6 players in one room using HTC Vive. Size of room 10 x 20 m. Could you help me with kind of equipment I need use. How many base stations I need use for this room and this quantity of players? How many trackers?
If you are not able to advise me on these issue, may be you can recomend where I can finde out this information.
Thanks in advance!

hi, 
great that you jump into this business.
you can put single stations, that means 1 HTC Vive pack (1 glass, 2 base stations, 2 controllers). the stations need to be separeted by walls or curtains, otherwise the base stations interfere with each other.

the second option is to put 4 glasses in a space of 25 m2, and only 2 base stations in the corners hanging 3 meters high. 
cheers, good luck!

For all I know, Vive Pro and Lighthouses 2.0 will be able to implement such a setup with their possibility of using many Lighthouses, so players will not overlap light to each other from them. But I'm not sure. So professionals and support, your help is appreciated. Am I right?

p.s. Do you know any similar solutions at a market to implement such (

) a playground? (other than oculus and optitrack)

. I wrote a response yesterday on this thread that touches on lighthouse 2.0 logistics. It will really boil down to the content you're displaying. If you're aiming for multi-user tracking in a shared 1:1 tracked volume, the software simply must support that for safety reasons, otherwise each user will have to be in a separate area.

Lighthouse 2.0 is still in development so I can't speak to any plans Valve has to support multi-user experiences but I can speak to how it's currently done on the current consumer version. When you run room setup you generate a configuration file. If multiple users are in the same space, you share this configuration file with all of the PC's that will used that tracked volume so the HMD's are calibrated to the exact same physical space. It's basically gen lock for spatial data and regardless of how 2.0 is managed on the software side, the same holds true conceptually for 2.0. If you're subdiving your space, it's just standard multiplayer networking at play. It will ultimately boil down to what experience you're running and what you're aiming to acomplish. 

, Lighthouse 2.0 will allow the same sort of setups at a fraction of the price of Optitrack which is typically over $50k for medium sized tracked volumes. Like I said above, it will really then just boil down to how the developer implements multiplayer and there be variations between different studios at the start of adoption. The only other option is SLAM, or other computer vision solutions. The reason people pay quite a bit of money for Optitrack is that before lighthouse 2.0 it really was the only option for high-quality tracking in medium volumes. You could use any HMD with optitrack including the Vive, it's just pricey. 

Archived