my vive is fricked

DearGodHelpMe

So let me start this off by saying this issue is actually hell, so venture further only if you dare.  It all started at Christmas when I got my vive and I was happy, oh so happy.  But happiness can only last for so long.  Two weeks later my vive decided to banish itself to the shadow realm.  I was getting an unholy amount of errors and nothing seemed to fix them.  I tried everything: Bypassing the link box, downgrading my pc to windows 10 (AKA spyware10), contacting steam support.  By this time it was already February and at the behest of vive support I tried reinstalling steam but they told me to delete it in the wrong way so I was left with a Schrodinger file, my steam existed and it didn't exist at the same time.  It was a rebellious little one, it denied all admin privileges, it wouldn't let me delete it.  But thanks to computer magic and my own mediocre brain I booted into safe mode and the Schrodinger file was never to be heard from again.  I reinstalled steam, manually recreated my directories because steam didn't recognize any of my 2.5 TB of games which would have taken me 400 hours to redownload, and I contacted vive support again the next day.  This support member gave me little information which pointed me to the community support.  I had gotten an error 126 during our session and he informed me that it was a developer error and he told me to come o'er here.  I asked myself why I had gotten a dev error.  I am not a dev, I'm too abhorrent for even simple programming there is no way in hell that I am developing VR games.  So here I am and I am asking you.  To help with this I shall finally dump my errors upon this thread in hopes of getting answers.  I boot up steamVR, everything seems fine at first but alas when I launch a game my vive stops tracking and my steam and game are instantly crashed.  Now essentially the same thing is happening but I get the pestering tune of a device connecting and reconnecting to my pc for minutes on end.  So please help me for I am a hopeless poor soul just trying to enjoy some VR.

That sounds like quite the pickle. So you were having SteamVR error 126 (Headset not detected) but now you're experiencing Crash to Desktop when you try to launch games? I'm assuming you're running as an administrator, you've disabled any anti-virus or security software to test if that's interfering? You also mentioned it sounds like it's having trouble detecting the USB components?

Have you tried USBDeview? https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?s=6643267c2b51f08c93e8fc35bf35aa48&ref=2748-WEIK-9562

Follow those steps and let me know if that changes anything.

Thank you,

-John C

Yes, I have tried all of those things and none of them have worked. The only thing that worked for a little was when I downgraded to windows 10 and it let GORN run for ten seconds tops but I was getting no display from my vive and it eventually crashed because my vive stopped tracking.  I honestly think that it is just my vive being defective now.   Because after trying pretty much every fix in the book for 2 months I have made essentially no progress.  Is there any way to send my vive in for repair or exchange?  Even just answers?

• 4 weeks later...

I've done some testing and have a feeling that im close to a solution.  I kept wondering why every time my vive started going wonky on me the led on the left side turned red.  I looked it up and it turns out that it indicated a hardware/driver error  (correct me if im wrong on that one) and i've already reinstalled my drivers twice.  If the indication of the led does mean that there is a hardware issue should i send it in?  or should i keep trying to fix it myself?  Note on the current state of the error: Now that i reinstalled steam my errors happen after a minute or so after my vive is booted up or after i launch the room setup.  The right eye starts blinking with colored static  every 3 seconds or so and the led on the left side of the headset turns red but is green if steam vr is not running.  Every time i boot up steam vr it says that steam vr home is unresponsive but that message goes away after a few seconds.

I believe we were troubleshooting before but I don't recall everything we did. It sounds like it could be the 3-in-1 cable, so if you can, connect another USB and HDMI cable to the HMD and the computer and see if that resolves the display issues. If not, it could likely be the headset itself that needs repairs.

Thank you,

-John C

Archived