How to have multiple players in the same simulation

diggerJohn

I would like to run multiple Vive HMD's in the same simulation simultaneously.

I understand about how I only need the two lighthouses.

But how do I connect the HMD's so they are sharing in the same experience?

Can anyone point me to a doc, webpage or just tell me how that is accomplished?

It's going to depend mainly on the experience you're talking about. That experience will need to support multiplayer functionality. Without that, it's just not going to happen. So, for example, in Raw Data, you can have two players in the same level working in Co-op and that's part of the features of the game, but in something like "The Blu" you can't have both people in the same instance. You could have two players in the same space both in "The Blu" (in separate instances) although they wouldn't be able to see each other or interact.

I hope that answers your questions,

-John C

I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Is this a development question? Any given experience/game is going to either support multiple users per session or not, there's no way around that as a user. If this is a developer question, it might be better served in the developer subforum. Have you signed up as a developer in our community?

Thank you,

-John C

Understood. The Technical Support forum is more geared toward users who are having technical issues, which is why we have the developer forums. That said, now that I better understand the question you're asking, it's going to depend on what you're developing with. If you're using Unity for example, you're going to want to look into How-To guides for implementing multiplayer VR in Unity. There's plenty of resources out there and if you're unable to find them easily, I'd recommend asking on the developer forums; you're certainly not the first person with that question!

Thank you!

-John C

, If your using an experience that you are not personally developing - the ability to sync a shared experience with 1:1 parity is entirely dependent on the experience and their implementation of multiplayer. If you're custom developing an app - the implementation options are upto you as there is no industrywide standard for this use case yet. You basically create a multiplayer experince and design it from the ground up to support this feature. Many Unity devs are using Photon for this. 

The other option is to subdivide your space and have individual zones for each user. This poses a safety risk in some instances though unless you physically device the space to ensure users don't run into each other. 

Archived