Vive Pro IPD -smaller faces?

Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing the Vive Pro, but my IPD is 56.5. Does anyone know if this will be an issue? I cant find the official IPD range on the new Vive, but I see the old one had a minumum of 60. 

For reference, I currently have an Occulus and the minum range looks perfectly clear for me. 

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I also have an IPD of 56mm. I'd love to see HTC tackle this issue. I sold my Vive after a week and replaced it with an Oculus because the Oculus was more forgiving of my IPD, despite very similar specs. I'd love to get a Vive Pro, with integrated eye tracking. But unless HTC create a headset which caters to people with smaller IPD I am prevented from being a buyer.

I wrote a little context on this in another thread but I haven't been able to surface it. Basically there are only a handful of foundaries in the world capable of making the types of semiconductor tech required for VR. Essentially VR companies currently piggyback off cellphone technology and so things like the types of screens used in VR headsets are essentially repurposed cellphone components at this point in time so they come in very specific form factors. For instance, both Vive and Oculus use Samsung displays because Samsung got extreemly good at manufacturing OLED displays while making the Galaxy series. The original Oculus dk's used Galaxy Notes screens. 

As VR picks up momentum, you'll see more VR specific displays which should accommodate for smaller IPDs. 

• 1 month later...

I know you asked this a long time ago, but just in case anyone comes across this and is wondering:

My IPD is 55.5 and I bought the Vive Pro and found that the misalignment was definitely noticeable, presumably due to the "sweet spot" being smaller on the Vive Pro compared to the OG Vive, which I have and do not have problems with. I could push the headset from side to side and only ever get one eye to be in focus. This made reading text pretty headache inducing, and since I got the Vive Pro primarily to play Fallout 4 VR, this was a big problem. I tried to live with it, but ultimately found it unbearable and ended up selling the Vive Pro. I was really disapointed that I had to do this, because I wanted to love it, and I would have if not for this problem.

To HTC: please expand the smaller end of the IPD range. I love VR. I'm one of VRs biggest supporters and it breaks my heart I can't use your headset comfortably.

Archived